No announcement yet.

Duck Recipe???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It really depends on the type duck and what they have been eating.

Gumbo is the equalizer

Comment

Agree with Johnny that different types of ducks have very different applications. With divers and spoonies, gumbo (or jambalaya) and sausage are the best you can hope for. Basically just a way to use some lean protein without it screwing up the taste too bad. With puddle ducks and teal (especially greenies; bluewings are actually more closely related to shovelers than to greenwings), any of the popper recipes above are good, but one of my favorite things to do is duck fajitas. Basically just treat them like you would beef, and all the other commenters are right to point out it's essential not to overcook the meat.

The only other thing I'll mention is I've tried doing different preparations of whole plucked wild duck, and none of them have been good enough to justify the extra effort for me, but Hank at honest-food.net disagrees.

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
        Braze, and then put in a large pan and cover with canned Plums. Cook slow for about an hour or till tender.

Crazy.... somebody else was just telling me they do pretty much the same thing but they used canned fruit cocktail instead of plums. There must be something to this. I guess i have to buy a can opener and give it a try.

Comment

I always had good luck with jerky.

Comment

Slice breasts into strips. Marinate in smoked allegro while slicing wide pieces of onion, bell pepper and jalapeños. Put a piece of onion on one side and bell pepper or jalapeño on other side and wrap with bacon. Throw on grill till bacon is cooked. I even did a shoveler and it had a slight liver taste but the people at work that never ate wild game said it was good. I said some will have a liver taste because of the type duck they are. They said yeah I kinda taste it but it ain’t bad. The good ducks no liver taste and I could eat them that way all day. Even did a couple goose breasts like that too.

Comment

Gumbo

Comment

Duck Empanadas

Slice mangos into rings. Cube 1 tablespoon of butter. Add 1/2 cup sugar to pan and continuously stir as you bring it up to medium-high heat and sugar is melted. Let cook for a couple of minutes until sugar starts to brown. Don’t stir while browning. Reduce heat to medium and add butter. Stir to combine. Add mangos and toss in melted sugar. Cook mangos for about 10 minutes until starting to brown. Remove from heat and set aside. When cool slice mangos into cubes.

Dice 1/2 onion and 2 cloves garlic. Caramelize onion in a pan add garlic for last 30 seconds. Remove from heat and set aside.

Chop duck meat into 1/2” cubes and cook medium rare. Don’t over cook.

Add to pan - two diced chipotles in adobo sauce, diced caramelized mango, diced onion, diced garlic, 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1/2 tablespoon cumin, kosher salt to taste, and a 1/4 cup heavy cream. Cook for about 10 minutes on medium heat. Should be thick consistency.

Spoon into dough, fold over and seal with a fork, deep fry at 350 until golden brown.
                Last edited by thisisbeer; 09-14-2020, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Low and slow or hot and fast.

Comment

Best duck recipe is put a bunch of seasoning on the duck, put it on a cedar plank, cook it, throw duck in trash, eat the cedar plank.

Comment

Originally posted by Jcjohnson View Post
                      Pan sear All sides on a Super hot skillet with salt then hit it with some Fresh ground pepper when almost done. Has to be rare! Medium rare is pushing it. It really is this simple, I used to feel the same as you until My buddy Showed me this.Over cooked duck is horrible and very gamey. The difference is night and day.
                      This!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by C-dubyah View Post
                        Best duck recipe is put a bunch of seasoning on the duck, put it on a cedar plank, cook it, throw duck in trash, eat the cedar plank.
                        Most folk dat cant cook duck say the same thing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Duck sits in OJ for one day, sear the sides, have rice and then gravy mixed with red wine. While you cook the rice and gravy place the duck in the oven in medium heat.

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Originally posted by thisisbeer View Post

Duck Empanadas

Slice mangos into rings. Cube 1 tablespoon of butter. Add 1/2 cup sugar to pan and continuously stir as you bring it up to medium-high heat and sugar is melted. Let cook for a couple of minutes until sugar starts to brown. Don’t stir while browning. Reduce heat to medium and add butter. Stir to combine. Add mangos and toss in melted sugar. Cook mangos for about 10 minutes until starting to brown. Remove from heat and set aside. When cool slice mangos into cubes.

Dice 1/2 onion and 2 cloves garlic. Caramelize onion in a pan add garlic for last 30 seconds. Remove from heat and set aside.

Chop duck meat into 1/2” cubes and cook medium rare. Don’t over cook.

Add to pan - two diced chipotles in adobo sauce, diced caramelized mango, diced onion, diced garlic, 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1/2 tablespoon cumin, kosher salt to taste, and a 1/4 cup heavy cream. Cook for about 10 minutes on medium heat. Should be thick consistency.

Spoon into dough, fold over and seal with a fork, deep fry at 350 until golden brown.
                              I want to try that!

Comment

Spatchcock it. Cut the spine out with heavy duty shears, splay it out on cast iron pan, body cavity down, brush lightly with olive oil, then season with salt, pepper and cumin on the skin. Throw it in a HOT oven, and cook till barely medium rare.

Comment

Working...
                                X