No announcement yet.

Stop grinding deer shoulders- Mississippi pot roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It turned out pretty good overall. We did a combination of street tacos, and then just the meat and some sauce over rice. Total cook time on low was about 6:30 hours, with another 1:30hrs on the Keep Warm setting. Both the pork and parts of the venison were a little dry by themselves, but good when combined with a little sauce in the tacos and on the rice.
    No gamey flavor to the venison at all. Ended up tasting like shredded brisket flat (although I did do a 24hr milk bath prior to the cook).

Next time I would forego the whole 15oz of green chili enchilada sauce and maybe put 8oz in. It did add some good flavor for those wanting the taco route

Comment

Tagged

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

Cooked the neck roast yesterday using this recipe. Outstanding! Added a large tablespoon of minced garlic. Over jasmine white rice. Everyone loved it. Will definitely make it again. Thanks for sharing

Attached Files

Comment

Random, I just now saw this post. I put my first one on this morning, have been seeing the hype on FB and we will see this evening.

Comment

Tried this for the first time yesterday and it turned out awesome! I'll definitely be saving one, or both, of the whole shoulders rather than deboning.

Comment

Tried this yesterday on a shoulder. It was awesome. Changed the way I processed the rest of the deer!

Comment

I made this today. Shredded it and letting it cook a while longer. Dang tasty!

Comment

Potatoes carrots & cream of mushroom soup make it even better

Comment

Potatoes carrots & cream of mushroom soup make it even better

Comment

Alright, gonna have to give it one more to.

Last time I used some really lean cuts/solid muscle. Gonna try an actual shoulder this time.

Comment

Roast or tamales are the only way I prepare the front shoulders anymore. This is a great recipe. Made some for our Chaparral Archery hunt week before last.

Comment

I made this with a front shoulder and threw in a couple leg shanks. Came out great. Will definitely be doing it again. Looking forward to leftovers tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Made one last night. Second time cooking a deer shoulder. The first was a traditional pot roast.

This was as good if not better and very simple.

I have 3 more WT shoulders and 4 elk shanks in the freezer waiting thier turn.Click image for larger version

Name:	20211219_034745.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	24671013Click image for larger version

Name:	20211219_180947.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	24671014

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Pro tip: After you eat all you can, pick out the meat and any veggies you want for left overs then put 1# of pinto beans in the juice and cook on low overnight then have beans and cornbread the next night. Add water if needed to keep the beans submerged. Enjoy!

Comment

I made this yesterday and it came out awesome. My Dad poured out all the juice before chopping, so I used a full can of chopped peppers w/ o juice.

Came out awesome but I will follow recipe next round to see what I prefer.

Comment

Working...
                                X