Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Who makes their own bacon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man that makes my mouth water. Great job.

Comment

did'nt know it was that easy

Comment

I got a slab ready to smoke . About 8 lbs worth .

Comment

Finished up a small batch . Right at 12 lbs . Maple and black pepper. This is off of one of my pigs we raised .

Comment

Comment

Looks great.
              I’ve got 12 pounds in the cure as I type.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                Looks great.
                I’ve got 12 pounds in the cure as I type.

I’m going to start another batch I’m trading for a bunch of beef .

Comment

Hey Strummer, your picture above made me think of this!

Click image for larger version

Name:	289432858_5634262743265098_1879534394899877348_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	24686829

I've been making my own bacon for the last several months. Where and how much are the bellies you're purchasing? The last belly I bought from HEB was $3.79/lb. Still considerably cheaper than even the cheap bacon.
                  Last edited by Michael; 06-30-2022, 06:02 PM.
                  My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    Hey Strummer, your picture above made me think of this!

[ATTACH]1093743[/ATTACH]

I've been making my own bacon for the last several months. Where and how much are the bellies you're purchasing? The last belly I bought from HEB was $3.79/lb. Still considerably cheaper than even the cheap bacon.

That’s awesome, got to save it . The bellies I have now are from a pig we raised . I got about 50 to 60 lbs of belly of of her . Hanging weight was 586 lbs .

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                      That’s awesome, got to save it . The bellies I have now are from a pig we raised . I got about 50 to 60 lbs of belly of of her . Hanging weight was 586 lbs .
                      Ah, now I remember reading that!
                      My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                        Ah, now I remember reading that!

When I do buy them I get them from Brookshire brothers in ganado . They will order them by them for me . Been a year or two since I bought any .

Comment

This thread got me to thinking that I wanted to make my own bacon so I did.
                          It turned out great. Far better than store bought bacon but I want more flavor!

Comment

Bacon and Egg sandwich gone for breakfast now thinking BLT for lunch.... I gotta build me a smoker. I like jerky too.

Comment

I have made my own bacon for years. I have used both tenderquik and plain sea salt. Either way works well. You should use the coarse ground sea salt to prevent the end product for being overly salty.

Comment

I also use Hickory wood to smoke the bacon. I prefer the taste.

Comment

Working...
                                X