Clint's Chili

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clint's Chili

I know there are a few Chili recipes already on here, but I wanted to share mine and some of the tips that have really helped me.

Ingredients:
    2 lbs Meat - I'm not getting into whats the best b/c everyone has their personal preference
    2 Bell Peppers
    1 Medium onion
    3 Garlic Cloves
    1 Tomato sauce (15 oz)
    1 can beer of choice (I have found Lone Star Light works best )

Seasonings: Salt, Pepper, Chili Powder, Paprika, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Cumin
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Chili Spice.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	24752560

Chop onions, peppers, and garlic as fine as you can and set aside.

Name:	Chili Veggies.jpg
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	24752561

I wish I had measurements on the seasonings, but I just season w/ the proportions I think is right.
    ~~~ Season the meat very liberally... Pretend you have 4 lbs meat in the pot!~~~
    Again, use your judgement on each. Easy on the cumin... You don't want it to taste like a taco!

Name:	Chili Meat.jpg
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	24752562

Begin to brown the meat SLOWLY! You don't want/need to cook this fast.
    ~~~At the point when the outside of the meat is just getting brown but its not quite done yet RESEASON the meat. Yes thats what I said MORE SEASONING!!!~~~
    You probably won't need to add much more salt or black pepper. Use a little paprika, a small amount of cumin (remember you don't want taco chili), more onion and garlic powder and a GOOD dose of chili powder. Give everything a good mixing.
    --Think about it for a second... When you buy a package of taco seasoning you add it after the meat is brown. This is because you want to taste the seasoning. Same with Chili! If you don't really pour the seasoning to the meat what you end up w/ is spicy water w/ vegetables and BLAN meat.

At this point throw in the veggies, mix, and cover (Medium/Low heat). Your veggies should make enough juice to keep the meat from buning. You want this mixture to simmer/steam for a while to let the veggies cook down and the flavors to mix. The consistency will end up looking like a sloppie joe.

Name:	Chili Combined.jpg
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	24752563

At this point add the can of tomato sauce and water . I like my chili the consistency of Wolf Brand (if you can call that chili ) so two soup cans of water should be enough. Three cans makes it runny but its still not bad.
    -- If you like a stronger tomato taste use two cans Sauce and cut back on water.

I like to add a little more chili/onion/garlic powder to the water. Another purpose of seasoning the meat as much as I do is so you don't have to add much seasoning to the water.

Name:	Chili Start Cook.jpg
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	24752564

Turn heat down to low and simmer for at least an hour (2 or 3 if you have time).

I usually cook mine early in the morning then turn off and let it sit. About an hour before I want to eat, I get it back to a simmer.

Around 15 min before your ready to eat add about 1/4-1/3 of the beer and bring back to a rolling boil.

Turn heat off and your ready to eat.

Final pictures to follow... Its cooking

When do you pour in the beer? Surely it isn't listed for drinking because 1 isn't enough.
    Sounds easy enough. Will try it at our superbowl party/chili cookoff.

Comment

Add some mexican oregano.
      It would take it to another level.

-Hill

Comment

Originally posted by AggieHunter View Post

Around 15 min before your ready to eat add about 1/4-1/3 of the beer and bring back to a rolling boil.

Turn heat off and your ready to eat.

Final pictures to follow... Its cooking

Originally posted by RobinHood View Post
        When do you pour in the beer? Surely it isn't listed for drinking because 1 isn't enough.
        Sounds easy enough. Will try it at our superbowl party/chili cookoff.
        Hope that helps.

Comment

My bad

Comment

Originally posted by Hillybgigem View Post
            Add some mexican oregano.
            It would take it to another level.

-Hill
            I'll have to try that out

And for those concerned about heat, or lack thereof since there are no hot peppers in it.... I usually use enough chili powder to give it a kick

Comment

I really wanted some chili to eat yesterday when the game was on... so I gave your a try. But I had to change it up a bit because of a run of bad luck..

My microwave broke just in time to defrost the meat. Great right. And I didn't have enough time for it to sit on the counter...
              I put the frozen "lump" of chili meat in the pot, figured it would defrost in some sort of liquid if I boiled it... hmmm. (I was drinking a beer.. why the hell not?)

So I poured a full miller lite in there. Put about half the spices in, along with a beef bullion cube and let it simmer for about an hour. topped it off with can of tomato sauce and some cruched tomatoes, spiced it up, onion and 2 jalapenos, let it cook all day.

YUM-O
              Bad luck turned into some kind of pot mystery chili that was pretty good.

Comment

tasty

Comment

I'm going to have to pick up some tomato sauce and bell peppers tomorrow, this will be one of my venison dinners this week along with the boudain stuffed backstrap.
                  Thanks for sharing

Comment

Working...
                  X