oyster mushroom and leek soup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oyster mushroom and leek soup

I was walking through a park the other day and noticed some nice oyster mushrooms growing from a dead oak tree. These mushrooms are one of the easiest to identify and one the best to eat. Here is the recipe..

1lb oyster mushrooms chopped
    3 leeks chopped
    3 cloves garlic chopped
    3-4 red potatoes chopped small
    2 tbl spoons of butter
    2-3 cups of Half and half or heavy cream
    2 cups chicken broth (make it concentrated, i did 3 cubes to 2cups of water)
    3/4 Cup white wine (i used a savigoun blanc)
    salt and pepper to taste

Start off by sauteing the leeks with butter for 5 min. Add garlic and continue to saute for another 2-3 min. Add mushrooms and continue to saute for another 5-7 min. Add white wine and reduce by half. Then add your chicken stock. Bring it down to a simmer and add your cream. While all of this is cooking bring a pot of water to a boil. Boil the potatoes for 7-10 minutes or until they are al dente. Once done add them to your soup. add salt and pepper as needed. I served this with rosemary focaccia toast. This is a simple and delicious meal! Hope yall give it a try.
    Attached Files

Looks good, but with my mushroom identifying experience (none) I will not take any chances and just pick some up at the HEB.

Comment

J sweet i completely agree. You don't get a 2nd chance if you pick the wrong one.

Comment

That looks really good!! And since you are still posting I assume you identified the correct mushrooms...

Comment

Pedernal im still kicking so im guessing i did.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason85 View Post
            Pedernal im still kicking so im guessing i did.
            What store bought mushrooms would good with the recip?? I would really like to try it...

Comment

I would use cremini mushrooms (small brown mushrooms). They will give the soup a great mushroom/meaty flavor. The oyster mushrooms were good but not the best use for this type of recipe.

Comment

This recipe probably serves 6 good size bowls but if you want to a big pot i would recommend doubling it.

Comment

Working...
                X