Ziplock Omelette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ziplock Omelette

Ok.........I was VERY skeptical of this idea except that I stink at making an omelette in a skillet. So I decided to do a trial run today and depending on the outcome, I would offer omelettes for breakfast at camp this weekend.

Cracked 3 eggs and beat them with a fork. Poured them into a freezer ziploc bag, forced the air out and sealed it. Put in boiling water and set the timer for 8 minutes. Thinking to myself........this is NOT gonna work. Couple of minutes in and its fluffing up and looking like an omelette. Timer goes of and I take it out of the water, open the bag and the omelette slides right out onto the plate. Added some salt and pepper and.........IT WAS GREAT. Imagine how much better they will be with deer sausage, cheese, jalapenos, onions, etc. I plan to cook 2 pounds of venison breakfast sausage and store in a big bag, have cheese and other items ready. Everyone puts their eggs and items in a ziploc and into the water. All the omelettes are ready at the same time and I dont have to fuss with over-cooking omelettes in a skillet. If you are looking for a shortcut at deer camp so you can get back into the sack quicker or go move a blind, this will definitely save you some time as you can have all the items cut and ready and just throw it all in a bag.

Did not think to take a pic until I had cut it up some........it came out roughly 6 inches long and 3-4 inches wide, about 2 inches thick. Here is the pic....

Hope everyone has a safe weekend. Lots more hunters on the road and in the woods this weekend so be extra careful. If you are climbing off the ground, please wear a harness. Good luck to everyone.

After I saw this recipe online I tried it several times at home and like it there too.. not cooking in the oil and fat.. more natural. Hopefully will try it sometime at a hunting cabin..

Comment

I tried one last night. Put all the goodies (bacon, peppers, onions, cheese, Salt & Pepper) in the bag with 3 eggs and dropped it in boiling. I tested it at 13 minutes which is what the 2 egg recipe calls for and it wasn't quite done. Back in the boiling water for 2-3 more minutes. PERFECT!

I mixed up another one and I'm going to leave it in the fridge for a couple days just to see what will happen to the peppers, onions, etc.. If it comes out good it will be great to make some ahead of time and take them camping.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I'll Have to try this with my boy's

Comment

We do that sometimes when we are hunting. Make them up the night before. Put them on when doing coffee.

Comment

sous vide style

if you have the capability of controlling the water temp, you can cook anything this way without over cooking it

Comment

Oh yeah. Once a month we do it. Easy easy.

Comment

Never heard of this before but sounds awesome! Gonna have to try it this weekend and see how it goes! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I'll tell you my secret to making a three egg omelette. I flip it when the edges are done, then add the cheeses and whatnot. I cant stand runny eggs. I will try your ziplock method next time we are in the woods. It sounds so easy.

Comment

Yummy

Comment

I also make them at home sometimes. Can make lower fat.. use low fat sliced turkey dog, 2% cheese, onion and tomato with the 2 scrambled eggs.

Comment

this sounds so good it is on in the morning

Comment

Gonna give this one a try!

Comment

heck yea, I use a french press for coffee so i can then use the hot water to make coffee

Comment

Great idea

Comment

Working...
                              X