Brisket on an egg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Parramore View Post
    Wrapping food in foil and then cooking for any period of time has shown elevated levels of aluminum in the food. Acidic foods such as lemon, lime, tomatoes, and sauces increase the transfer dramatically. I personally hit it low and slow on the egg with the offset plate and full bowl of water beneath and have never had problems with it being anything less than moist.
    They say cooking over wood causes cancer, so.....that bark will kill you.

Comment

You people crack me up lmao

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
        YOU sir, couldn't be more wrong. All of these were wrapped in foil! You don't have any idea what you are talking about. Were you saying you enjoy eating crow???
        I just wish I could cut my brisket as well as you do. Not to mention cooking it!

Comment

read Aaron Franklin's book!
          i've always wrapped at the beginning of the stall, at 160°
          but Franklin wraps at the end of the stall at 170°
          i'm going to try that next time to see if i can tell the difference

and Franklin cooks at 275°

my granddads both used brown paper grocery sack paper to wrap with
          it breaths better than butcher paper and foil
          and it's free

Comment

I've never smoked a brisket before.. I have been thinking about it.. Now after reading this thread I guess it's just back to hard 8 for me..

Comment

I thought the Franklin video trying the wrap/unwrap was informative (link below). He wraps with paper. I have done them all and they definitely have different tastes and textures. All still brisket, and smoked, so a great meal.

Last edited by CWP; 05-01-2016, 08:01 AM.

Comment

This calls for a TBH brisket cook off!! I volunteer to judge the event

Comment

THey don't call it the Texas Crutch" for nothing!

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
                    THey don't call it the Texas Crutch" for nothing!
                    Key word here is "TEXAS"! It's still better than the rest!

Comment

Originally posted by randal View Post
                      I've never smoked a brisket before.. I have been thinking about it.. Now after reading this thread I guess it's just back to hard 8 for me..
                      Look up TC's brisket instructions thread. Makes it easy if you just follow his steps, and comes out awesome!

Comment

I like to wrap my brisket due to I don't like to much smoke gives me heart burn . If you look at the supposed best in Texas did a survey unwrapped , wrapped in foil , and wrapped in papper , unwrapped was ok but lost a lot of meat flavor , foil was better but lost some flavor as well , the papper was the best had all the flavor,s left and was moist and tender .

Comment

My Cajun Dutch oven brisket, make a roux, throw in onions, celery, bell pepper, cook down. Sear brisket on way side. Put lid on the Dutch oven and put it on the fire or in the pit for 4-6 hours. Mind blowing.

"It's all about the ripping and the tearing"

Comment

To the op's original point I'll just add my two cents. I'm a recent convert to Kamado cooking and have found that because it's a nearly sealed environment, drying out is basically a non issue. I cook at higher than "normal" temps with great results. Btw, I used to wrap and finish low and slow in my oven to avoide having to keep the fire stoked in my stick burner but since switching to the Kamado I just stuff the fire box full of lump and never need to lift the lid till it hits 190 on the probe thermometer.

Comment

Sounds to me like you are not a REAL MAN if you wrap your brisket in foil

Comment

Brisket on an egg

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                                To the op's original point I'll just add my two cents. I'm a recent convert to Kamado cooking and have found that because it's a nearly sealed environment, drying out is basically a non issue. I cook at higher than "normal" temps with great results. Btw, I used to wrap and finish low and slow in my oven to avoide having to keep the fire stoked in my stick burner but since switching to the Kamado I just stuff the fire box full of lump and never need to lift the lid till it hits 190 on the probe thermometer.

How can a smoker be deemed nearly sealed with an intake and an exhaust?

I've cooked with buddies on BGEs and my WAM and they aren't virtually sealed. Is the Kamado different?
                                Last edited by Smart; 05-01-2016, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X