Smart, school me on ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
    And jelly on meat....if you want candy, eat candy. Ribs in a crock pot with fake smoke and jelly....ON A SMART RIB THREAD, y’all...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You'd be amazed at the amount of jelly that goes on competition ribs.
    Originally posted by Smart View Post
    Sounds like a miniature pork roast with a little handle.. [emoji15]

I must not be a fan of bomb either. Ribs in a souped up crockpot blow smoked ribs out of the water said no real southerner ever .... come on now!!
    There is a rack in the bottom that keeps your ribs out of the liquid. No rib soup.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by coldgas View Post
      You'd be amazed at the amount of jelly that goes on competition ribs.

I probably wouldn’t. I’ve seen competition ribs, and they ain’t the ribs I want to eat. Hell, the best cooks in the country will tell you that.

Don't knock it till you try it. I can do in about 30 minutes what takes 4 to 6 hours on the smoker.

No you can’t.[emoji16]

Comment

Insta pot ribs with a little liquid smoke and apple juice in the bottom will blow any smoker ribs out of the water. Then broil them with a little sweet baby rays and grape jelly. Tha bomb!
        I stopped reading after liquid smoke.

Comment

Insta pot ribs with a little liquid smoke and apple juice in the bottom will blow any smoker ribs out of the water. Then broil them with a little sweet baby rays and grape jelly. Tha bomb!

Stole this from Smart. Was only fitting...

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post

Stole this from Smart. Was only fitting...

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

Smart, school me on ribs

Don't knock it till you try it. I can do in about 30 minutes what takes 4 to 6 hours on the smoker.
              All I'm saying is that an instapot will change your life. You can cook a nice tender roast in less than an hour. Same with pinto beans. I haven't tried a brisket yet, but plan on trying it soon.

Instapots are nice.. folks said the same about crockpots when they came out......but not for BBQ. They are good for making everything roasty ... If you like roast on a stick then knock yourself out. I love roast. But it’s not BBQ. Brisket in an instapot is roast as well

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                Really

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
                They're obviously not from Texas...

Comment

Originally posted by Cazador View Post
                  I'm not Jason ( I was gonna say I'm not Smart but that just didn't sound right! ), but I've cooked a rib or two! Here is my coveted award winning baby back rib recipe.

Come Back Baby-Back Ribs

Ingredients

2 to 3 Racks of Baby Back Ribs
                  Barbecue sauce of choice (I prefer Sweet Baby Ray’s)
                  Rib Rub (Recipe Below)

Rib Rub

2 cups of Brown Sugar
                  2 Tbs. Garlic Powder
                  2 Tbs. Onion Powder
                  1Tbs. Paprika
                  1 tsp. Powdered Thyme
                  1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
                  1/2 tsp. White Pepper
                  1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
                  1 Tbs. Kosher salt
                  1 tsp ground ginger

Directions

Mix the rib rub ingredients thoroughly, make sure to break down any clumps. Remove the thin membrane from the bone side of the ribs, rinse them and pat dry. Cover the ribs with the rub, front and back. I try to let them “marinate” in the refrigerator for 2 to 12 hours (overnight is great).

While you’re getting your fire going, put the ribs on the counter to allow them to lose the refrigerator chill. Prepare your fire for indirect heat (or smoking) at 225 to 250 degrees; I have used kettle grills and ceramic cookers with rib racks, and smokers. When your temperature is steady add your smoking wood (sometimes I soak it in water first, sometimes not). I prefer fruitwood for pork, usually apple. Put your ribs on and sit back and relax a while (about 3 hours). Keep an eye on the temp; I try to keep it at 225 degrees. Remember... low and slow!

Here is where there is a lot of debate in the BBQ world, but this is MY recipe so this is how I do it. Coat the ribs in barbecue sauce and wrap each rack individually in heavy-duty aluminum foil. At this point you can move them to an oven or put them back on the pit, at 225 degrees. Let them go another 2 hours.

Now remove them from the foil and check them for doneness. Visually the meat should appear to shrink and pull away from the bone, or an internal temp of 190 degrees. Finish them on the pit if needed (still at 225), shouldn’t need any more than an hour.

This is helpful
                  Thanks for your recepie

Comment

What is finish temp of ribs? In hour 2 just wrapped no apple. It did have beer

Comment

For me sauce or no sauce depends on what kinda mood I am in. I like them almost any way you can cook them. With that said my personal favorite is just salt and pepper on the pit at 225 until they are done. No foil no wrap. Just good old fashioned Texas smoked ribs.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                        I like to add cayenne to regular rub, then do the butter/brown sugar like Jason mentioned. That sweet heat combo is bad ***!

No sauce!

Agree!!!

Comment

I love ribs but have never tried to cook them much or any BBQ for that matter. Well, I finally had enough and started researching and asking questions. Once I got my rig together and producing a nice smoke, with regulated heat, I started looking for recipes and 'how to's' on smoking and BBQ in general. I came across this website and it seems legit:

Jeff's new eBook includes two dozen favorite recipes from the website. All instructions have been re-written and double-checked for accuracy.

I always wanted to learn how to cook a good brisket that I could be proud to serve my guests. I have finished 3 briskets so far and each one getting better. I can see the subtle differences when I tweak things. Still haven't figured out how to get that pretty red smoke ring for presentation but flavor and texture is on point.

Now I want to tackle ribs which is why I am excited to see this thread and making a post much larger than it should be, I know you're thinking it too. I can't decide which rib to go for first? The beef or pork, the baby pack or spare, short rib.....? I'm hearing a good beef back rib is dynamite but I'd like to hear your recommendations on which one to tackle first. Thanks, I will be following.

Comment

Also, I have been hearing good things about spritzing the ribs with pickle juice during the process. Suppose to be a life changer.

Comment

Originally posted by C-dubyah View Post
                              Also, I have been hearing good things about spritzing the ribs with pickle juice during the process. Suppose to be a life changer.

Just no.
                              Pickle Juice is the pumpkin spice of 2020. [emoji15]
                              May be good, but I’ll let somebody else try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by C-dubyah View Post
                                I love ribs but have never tried to cook them much or any BBQ for that matter. Well, I finally had enough and started researching and asking questions. Once I got my rig together and producing a nice smoke, with regulated heat, I started looking for recipes and 'how to's' on smoking and BBQ in general. I came across this website and it seems legit:

Jeff's new eBook includes two dozen favorite recipes from the website. All instructions have been re-written and double-checked for accuracy.

I always wanted to learn how to cook a good brisket that I could be proud to serve my guests. I have finished 3 briskets so far and each one getting better. I can see the subtle differences when I tweak things. Still haven't figured out how to get that pretty red smoke ring for presentation but flavor and texture is on point.

Now I want to tackle ribs which is why I am excited to see this thread and making a post much larger than it should be, I know you're thinking it too. I can't decide which rib to go for first? The beef or pork, the baby pack or spare, short rib.....? I'm hearing a good beef back rib is dynamite but I'd like to hear your recommendations on which one to tackle first. Thanks, I will be following.

Go pork ribs. For a beginner, go with baby back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X