No announcement yet.

Oak for bar b que

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do post, red, and live... whatever is there when I cut. Can't remember the last time that I paid for someone to cut wood for me.

My electric smoker (Bradley) uses pucks of all kinds of different woods. I usually use it for sausage or fish.

Now I've got a green egg and been mixing in chips... using up what I have but will be trying some different one soon.

Comment

Post oak. I know that's what they use at Franklin BBQ also.

Comment

Post oak and peach

Comment

Was hoping to hear guys using live oak, I've got tons cut at my ranch.

Comment

I use live oak only. Makes great coals and great smoke flavor

Comment

Grew up using Mesquite in South Texas. I have tried oak and hickory, but mesquite is still the best in my opinion. A little pecan wood isn't bad though.

Comment

Pecan, hickory, mesquite, post oak and live oak here......love them all.

Have a cord stack of post oak and live oak I need to start tearing into....pecan is almost gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                  Pecan, hickory, mesquite, post oak and live oak here......love them all.

Have a cord stack of post oak and live oak I need to start tearing into....pecan is almost gone.

I'm gonna have a TON of pecan down in floresville if you're close and want some.

Comment

if you can get it try Peach Wood . I have a few trees. its great!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MySRT8U View Post
                      I'm gonna have a TON of pecan down in floresville if you're close and want some.

I'm north of DFW. Do you deliver.

Comment

Red oak is what I see most fella's use...

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleGProstaff View Post
                          Was hoping to hear guys using live oak, I've got tons cut at my ranch.
                          I guess it depends on the area.
                          Most everyone in my area uses live oak. Some with a little mesquite mixed in.
                          Maybe it's just because it's the most plentiful in this area.
                          People say post oak is OK, but burns too quick and leaves too many ashes.
                          I don't BBQ enough to have an opinion one way or the other.

Comment

Low Fence

Mesquite gives you a headache?

Allergic reaction?

Comment

Originally posted by MySRT8U View Post

Looking to get rid of some? I could definitely use some!

Comment

post oak

Comment

Working...
                                X