My Wild Kitchen - New Post - Venison Sausage Foil Packs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Wild Kitchen - New Post - Venison Sausage Foil Packs

This is about as simple as it gets. Venison Sausage Foil Packs with potatoes, onion, green beans, jalapenos and whatever other vegetables you want to throw in.

(Badger wanted to pick out a smiley face.)
    Last edited by Coach; 03-05-2015, 03:38 PM. Reason: typo

We make something similar to these and call them Hobo Packs. We put carrots on the bottom followed by potatoes, onion and peppers and we use ground beef instead of sausage. I like the idea of using sausage though and the addition of green beans. Thanks for the recipe. Will have to give that a try!

Comment

Originally posted by brandon View Post
      We make something similar to these and call them Hobo Packs. We put carrots on the bottom followed by potatoes, onion and peppers and we use ground beef instead of sausage. I like the idea of using sausage though and the addition of green beans. Thanks for the recipe. Will have to give that a try!
      Carrots sound good, too. Do you brown the hamburger meat first?

Comment

Those things look pretty darn good.

Wonder if you could use fresh sausage?

Comment

Originally posted by Stan R View Post
          Those things look pretty darn good.

Wonder if you could use fresh sausage?
          Our sausage isn't actually smoked. We didn't have access to a smoker when I made it. So she always bakes it a little, just enough to keep its form, before cooking with it. This sausage was still pretty raw inside, so I'd think yes. Just check it with a meat thermometer before serving, maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach View Post
            Carrots sound good, too. Do you brown the hamburger meat first?
            No, we use raw hamburger meat. Wrap it all up in heavy duty foil (sometimes two layers) and put the pack right into the coals. That's one of the reasons the carrots are on bottom is to kind of protect the other veggies from burning.

Comment

Call them silver turtles. Made them for years with the boy scouts.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
                Call them silver turtles. Made them for years with the boy scouts.
                Never heard them called that but that name definitely makes sense!

Comment

Dang that's a great deal for going camping!

Comment

Working...
                  X