Whole Hog Cooking HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whole Hog Cooking HELP!

Ok. So my daughter turns one on November 9th and of course we are having a pretty big birthday party. My husband has a bright idea of cooking a whole hog for this event. However we have never done it before. So this is where I need your help! I have ordered an approximate 50lb butterflied hog from J&J Packing in Brookshire, Texas. We have a big BBQ pit that we will lay the hog down (Skin side down, what was recommended) and have the fire off to the far other side of the pit. Here are my questions:

How long will it take to cook a 50lb hog like this?
    Does anyone have a good injection recipe?
    Should we season/dry rub the whole hog?
    If so anyone have a dry rub recipe?
    At what temp do you cook it? (was recommended 250F)
    Does anyone have a good mop sauce recipe to use to mop the hog & if so how often do you do this (recommended every hour)?
    It was also recommended to put a pan under the hog and put apple juice in it.

The plan was to put a meat thermometer in the thickest point and cook until it hits 180F.

Green screen please help me I am going to be stressed to the max if we have 70 people and this doesn't work and all they have to eat is beans and potatoes and bread!

Don't stress just relax.

If you are worried tell everone what time you are planing on eating, them make them wait a couple of extra hours then feed them they will eat anything at that point.

Comment

This place has a TON of information and I have personally used some of the info for brisket. http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porkn...g_picking.html

Comment

My 2 cnts.

Done a bunch of hogs on my pit over the years. You can get away with 160 to 165 internal temp. Inject liberally with turkey injection. Cook at 250 deg.
        My favorite rub is a product called Texas Wild.

Comment

That sounds good

Comment

put the whole pig in and ice chest and soak in brine water. google brine water recipes and it will give you all the info you need, you can add ingredients to your liking, then throw it on the pit. i keep a spray bottle with apple cidar handy and spray the pig about every 20 mintutes, adds a little flavor and keeps the meat conditioned while it's cooking. make a nice chimichurri sauce and it will go fast. i do this for thanksgiving every year.

Comment

Do these apply to wild (ferrel) hogs as well? Thanks

Comment

Can't wait to eat sis!
                And my only recommendation is to throw some sausage on in case mason charcoals the pig.

Comment

Heard good things about this http://www.lacajachina.com

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
                    put the whole pig in and ice chest and soak in brine water. google brine water recipes and it will give you all the info you need, you can add ingredients to your liking, then throw it on the pit. i keep a spray bottle with apple cidar handy and spray the pig about every 20 mintutes, adds a little flavor and keeps the meat conditioned while it's cooking. make a nice chimichurri sauce and it will go fast. i do this for thanksgiving every year.
                    winner...brining is the way to go, I do it with whole chickens for beer can chicken as well

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
                      this ^^^^^^^^^

and wrap in foil about half way through cooking time.
                      Last edited by The BARn; 01-12-2015, 12:58 PM.

Comment

I notice you are in East Bernard why not get your rub an sauce from VINCEKS really good

Comment

Working...
                        X