Ask Travis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travis -
    What's your best recipe for smoking a backstrap. We had a guy at camp one time who marinated it in something (didn't pay attention ), then he put it on the smoker with apple slices, some cajun seasoning, and something else (couldn't see). Anyhow, given that, what would you use to marinate/brush/etc?

Thanks

Comment

I've always wondered about whether it is right or wrong to sear the outside of a hunk of meat with high heat first before slow cooking. What does it do or why should you not do it?
      It is in fact false that it keeps moisture in compared to regular cooking. But it does give off some excellent flavor. So if it adds flavor go at it!

Travis -
      What's your best recipe for smoking a backstrap. We had a guy at camp one time who marinated it in something (didn't pay attention ), then he put it on the smoker with apple slices, some cajun seasoning, and something else (couldn't see). Anyhow, given that, what would you use to marinate/brush/etc?

Thanks
      I would use a simple brine. Water, salt, sugar, some whole peppercorns and a little apple juice.

Let it sit overnight.

Now season it up with seasoning of your choice. Just plain paprika and pepper would be nice. I would actually lay it on top of onions and apples so the moisture and flavor comes through them into the meat. But that is just me.

Comment

Travis -
        I need a good cooking thermometer - not chef style industrial expensive good - just dependable. What do you suggest?

Comment

That is a complicated question.

What are you going to be using it mostly for? Frying? Turkey Frying?

You can go cheap around 20 bucks for a good analog thermometer. But they are not real reliable and they dont last near as long as a digital. If I was going to pick it would be digital format.

Me personally I'd go with a digital Infared/probe thermometer.

Either this one. It's similar to what I have.

Infared/Probe

Or

This one. Longer probe. No infared.

If it was me I'd want both. But If I had to just take one I'd get the infared.

Comment

Hot wings

Whats a good hot wing recipe? I've tried several but they never seem to taste like anything maybe doing something wrong.

Comment

go look on my recipe page in the recipe section. already have one for ya with pics!

Comment

You talk to your grandmother-in-law yet?

German burgers, man... German burgers!

Comment

whats the best stuff to marinate a hot dog? How long should i soak my hot dog in it?

Comment

Originally posted by Jaspro View Post
                    Why don't dogs get brain freeze when they eat ice cream too fast?
                    why are you feeding your dog ice cream?

Comment

Originally posted by agatut View Post
                      they live off of crumbs

Comment

Why not?

Comment

Why not?
                          oh lord! ...

I'm gonna ask my grandma about those german burgers next chance since travis is holding out on us

Comment

oh lord! ...

I'm gonna ask my grandma about those german burgers next chance since travis is holding out on us
                            He gets a Mcdonalds Double Cheeseburger and a dish of vanilla from DQ once a week.

Comment

He gets a Mcdonalds Double Cheeseburger and a dish of vanilla from DQ once a week.
                              Breakfast of champions!

Comment

Ouch,

I forgot all about the German Burgers. I'll call callie's grandma first thing tomorrow! Sorry about the delay!

whats the best stuff to marinate a hot dog? How long should i soak my hot dog in it?

Brezina,

Go marinate yourself!

Comment

Working...
                                X