Ask Travis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travis,
    I love to cook chili. I have been using a store bought chili powder for a long time and I am trying to experiment by making my own mix.

Do you suggest making a dry mix to throw in the pot from grinding dried chilies and spices, or by buying fresh chilies and blending it into a fresh paste that I can use as a base in the chili? Just seeing what your thoughts are on this....

And I usually mix up the blend of meat, usually half pork, half beef. I have tried ground and "chili ground", but I have wanted to try cubeing meat out into about 1/3" pieces and cooking the chilli that way....
    What cut of meat would you suggest for both pork and beef?

Any other pieces of advice would be greatly appreciatied too!
    Thanks!
    Hillyb,

If you want to go through the arduous task of steeping the chile's then go at it! I've done it once and decided it is not worth the effort!

Are you buying a chili mix or are you buying a medium, light, or dark chili powder?

Most people dont know that chili powders are not all ground chili's. Chili powder generally consists of chili, salt, onion and garlic powders. You want a straight ground chili.

I prefer a light ground chili like a california and a dark like an ancho or San Juan or San Andres chili powder. You can search the web.

A quick google search came up with this site.

Me personally I prefer ground meat. 3/8" grind to be exact. And generally Venison and Beef, I've never been fond of pork in chili unless you're making a chili verde, which is a whole other can of worms. Venison is by far my protein of choice for stew or chili. I generally use 90% venison and 10% beef with some visible fat.

Cubing meat takes a lot of time but like I said above if you're up for the challenge and have plenty of time on your hands go nuts!

All that being said, chili is an artisan craft. Wars have been fought over who's chili reigns supreme. Essentially easy to master but almost impossible to perfect. Everyone loves their own brand. Good Luck!

Comment

Do you have a good recipe for Chuckar and Pheasent?

Comment

Willfd,

Anything you can make with chicken you can make with pheasant or Chuckar.

Chicken piccata, chicken parmesan, chicken strips, etc.

Comment

Travis, I've tried several of the recipes and they're all great! Thanks for the contribution

Comment

Travis I would like to know if you have a recipe for bbq sauce like the kind that is used in North Carolina, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Mainly in Carolina you have two types sauce, either vinegar based or a slightly more acidic tomato based sauce. I have recipes for both. Just let me know which.

There is also a mustard based sauce that sometimes shows up in the carolinas as well.

Comment

I think the vinegar based sauce is the one that I need. I would also be interested in the mustard one as well. Thanks for the help and all the other really good recipes.

Comment

Travis you got a good grilled crappie recipe?

Comment

I think the vinegar based sauce is the one that I need. I would also be interested in the mustard one as well. Thanks for the help and all the other really good recipes.
                    Did something similar to this for a pulled pork project years ago.

1 cup ketchup
                    3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
                    1/4 cup water
                    1/4 cup brown sugar
                    1 tablespoon of each of the following
                    molasses
                    louisiana hot sauce
                    crushed red pepper
                    salt

mix it all together and put a few splashes on your pulled pork.

I havent had time to work on the mustard one. give me a little time.

Travis you got a good grilled crappie recipe?
                    First de-scale, remove fins except tail, and gut and remove the head.

Take one stick of room temperature butter and blend with 3 minced garlic cloves, pinch salt, juice of half a lemon, and a pinch of pepper. Once combined smear all over fish and refrigerate for 2 hours.

Grill on low heat with a foil bottom flipping one time per side until fish is flakey!

Enjoy!!!!!!!

Comment

If I make a bbq sauce and put it in a jar in the fridge... how long will it last?

Can i add some sort of preservative and put it away? If so what would it be and would it alter the taste any? How long will it last this way?

Same with cooked pinto beans... is there a way to "can" them intead of freezing them?

Comment

Thanks for the recipe

Comment

If I make a bbq sauce and put it in a jar in the fridge... how long will it last?

Can i add some sort of preservative and put it away? If so what would it be and would it alter the taste any? How long will it last this way?

Same with cooked pinto beans... is there a way to "can" them intead of freezing them?
                          You can can just about anything. Simply place it in a jar w/ about 1/4" of headspace and just tighten the lid. Dont over tighten.

Then place the jars in the oven at 350 until you see it bubbling. Pull it out carefully place on the counter under a towel and let it sit for an hour or two. Once cooled tighten lid then place in your pantry for up to 6 months.

Thanks for the recipe
                          Sorry it took so long Chapo.

Comment

Travis, I have made a grilled backstrap steak using cajun injected red wine, dry italian seasoning, garlic salt, and season all, and it tastes better than what I usually eat in a steak house. I inject wine at every flip, and season with dry stuff at every flip.

My question is: red wine goes with red meat, white wine goes with white meat, what sides would best complement red wined venison backstrap? It is very juicy, not gamey, I cook it to medium-rare, and its very tender when cut against the grain. Oh and this will be to impress a girl, FYI
                            Last edited by ghenson82; 03-16-2009, 08:00 PM.

Comment

ghenson,

I'm big on earthy simple flavors.

Saute asparagus, crimini or baby bell mushrooms, garlic, onion, a pad of butter and a little salt and pepper. Then serve.

Comment

Dear Ask Travis,

If a guy were to ask you for some recipes that contained fresh(non-cooked) sausage, could you give him said recipes in the same year he asked for them or is there a waiting period like when you buy a handgun? 2 months and counting.......!

Comment

Working...
                                X