Jerky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jerky

Alright folks, I am trying to get some good recipes and directions for making jerky with my dehydrator. I dehydrate the meat at 160 degrees, but it seems no matter what I buy for seasoning and cure, the flavor is never there or it just tastes extremely salty. I'm ready to pic some brains and make some dried meat. Thanks!

I will comment on the jerky coming out too salty. A lot of people marinate the meat in something like soy sauce, Allegro, Worchestershire, etc -- all which have a high salt content. They then dust it with other seasonings that contain salt, like Tony Cachere's or Lawry's. That is way to much salt for my taste. If I marinate in one of the above liquids, I add only black/red pepper, garlic and some brown sugar. In my experience you don't need to add cure unless you are making large batches that won't be eaten for weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
      I will comment on the jerky coming out too salty. A lot of people marinate the meat in something like soy sauce, Allegro, Worchestershire, etc -- all which have a high salt content. They then dust it with other seasonings that contain salt, like Tony Cachere's or Lawry's. That is way to much salt for my taste. If I marinate in one of the above liquids, I add only black/red pepper, garlic and some brown sugar. In my experience you don't need to add cure unless you are making large batches that won't be eaten for weeks.
      What would you consider a large batch (lbs)?

Comment

Lots of good jerky recipes on here. Just a quick search below:

Comment

First, I think my jerky turns out better when I do it at 175. My kids and wife do, too. If you want to try that and your dehydrator doesn't go that high, try your oven. I've found that it dries in 4-6 hours at 175 versus overnight and then some at 155.

My marinade recipe, which actually is my mom's, is this:

2/3 cup LOW SODIUM soy sauce
          1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce.
          1/4 tsp garlic powder
          2 dashes of Liquid Smoke

As has been noted, too much salt is a deal killer. I marinate overnight or longer and then put on. If you can't marinate overnight, I consider 6 hours the bare minimum.

Also, you probably know this, but fatty meat makes really bad jerky. Eye of round or certain other roasts are best.

LWD

Comment

Hot and spicy jerky

5 lbs. Venison
            1 cup worchestershire sauce
            ½ cup soy sauce
            1 tsp. Garlic salt
            1 tsp. Onion salt
            1 tsp. Spicy brown mustard
            ½ tsp. Coarse black pepper
            1 tsp. Chili powder
            ½ tsp. Cayenne pepper
            1 tsp. Tabasco sauce

cut venison into ¼ inch strips. Combine ingredients for marinade. Marinate in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Place in a dehydrator or oven until dry to your liking.

Comment

I'm going to try both of these this weekend. Now I just need season to come around so I can try and fill the freezer. The wife and I eat jerky like it's nobody's business. I'm looking forward to these recipes. Thank you!

Comment

I season my jerky with a number of different seasonings depending on what I feel like at the moment. Sometimes pepper sometimes sweeter with brown sugar. Don't over complicate and stay away from the pre-packaged seasonings. If you need mix some seasonings together and taste on your finger until you like it. After seasoned I smoke the meat on my smoker at low temp. Around 160-175. I pull the meat and bend it. When it begins to splinter pull it off. It takes 4-8 hrs give or take to make. And 20 minutes to eat it all!

Comment

I just pour a bottle of soy sauce into a bowl, add a heaping table spoon of brown sugar, and then dehydrate/smoke. Sometimes I add liquid smoke if dehydrating. It taste more sweet than salty.

Comment

Gotta love jerkey

Comment

So, what kind of curing process do all of you do if you want to keep it for a good amount of time?

Comment

Originally posted by drube75 View Post
                        So, what kind of curing process do all of you do if you want to keep it for a good amount of time?

Foodsaver.
                        Freeze
                        Once thawed it doesn't last long enough to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
                          Foodsaver.
                          Freeze
                          Once thawed it doesn't last long enough to worry about.
                          So there doesnt need to be any curing process? Just bag and freeze...PERFECT! Thank you.

Comment

I am waiting for someone to copy cat the recipe that Garvin's Store uses in Mountain Home... I can't find any jerky better. I love their spicy...

Comment

Originally posted by czechgrubworm View Post
                              I am waiting for someone to copy cat the recipe that Garvin's Store uses in Mountain Home... I can't find any jerky better. I love their spicy...

Angie, if you like spicy, give my recipe a shot.

Comment

Working...
                              X