Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rabbit

anyone have a good Rabbit recipe?

My mom used this when I was little and now I use it I like to serve it over egg noodles or mashed potatoes.
    Directions: Southern Fried Rabbit Or Squirrel With Gravy

1/3 c. flour
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. black pepper
    1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
    1 wild rabbit or 2 squirrels, cut up
    vegetable oil
    3 T. flour
    1 1/2 c. chicken broth
    salt and pepper

In a lg. plastic food-storage bag, combine 1/3 c. flour, the salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Shake to mix. Add rabbit/squirrel pieces and shake to coat.

In a lg. skillet, heat 1/4" of oil for rabbit, or 1/8" of oil for squirrel, over med-high heat until hot. Add coated meat. Brown on all sides. Reduce heat and cover tightly. Cook over very low heat until tender, 20-25 mins. for rabbit, 35-45 mins. for squirrel, turning pieces once. Remove cover, and cook 5 mins. longer to crisp.
    Transfer meat to plate lined with paper towels. Set aside to keep warm.

Discard all but 3 T. oil. Over med. heat, stir flour into reserved oil. Blend in chicken broth. Cook over med. heat, stirring constantly, until
    thicken and bubbly. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve gravy with meat.

Comment

Rabbit and Squirrel Sauce Piquante
      PREP TIME: 2 Hours
      SERVES: 8

COMMENT:
      Sauce piquante, or peppery sauce, is a stew-like dish of French origin in Louisiana. It can be made with seafood, domesticated meats or wild game. Tomato is added to the dish to give it a slight rusty color. Although called peppery, the sauce has just the right touch of spice.

INGREDIENTS:

1 rabbit cut into 8 pieces
      1 squirrel cut into 8 pieces
      1 cup oil
      1 cup flour
      1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
      2 cups chopped onions
      1 cup chopped celery
      ½ cup chopped bell peppers
      2 tbsps diced garlic
      1 (10-ounce) can Rotel tomatoes
      1 (16-ounce) can whole tomatoes
      1 quart beef stock
      2 tbsps sugar
      salt to taste
      black pepper to taste
      cayenne pepper to taste
      ½ tsp oregano
      2 tbsps Worcestershire Sauce
      ½ cup sliced green onions
      ¼ cup chopped parsley

METHOD:
      In a heavy-bottomed Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Season rabbit and squirrel using salt and peppers and sauté until golden brown. Remove from oil and keep warm. Add flour to pot and, using a wire whisk, stir until dark brown roux is achieved. Add onions, celery, bell peppers and garlic. Sauté 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are wilted. Add tomato paste and continue to stir 5-6 minutes or until the sauce is a nice brown color. Add tomatoes and beef stock. Blend well into the roux mixture, bring to a rolling boil and reduce to simmer. Add meat, sugar, salt and peppers. Blend well. Add oregano and Worcestershire. Allow to simmer 1 hour or until game is tender. Finish with green onions and parsley. Serve over a plate of steamed white rice.

Comment

That looks like a great recipe Honeybee. Thanks, C.

Comment

When I was a kid (many years ago), my mother would make cottontails that I killed in the same way HoneyBee wrote.

But my sister-in-law makes a pretty good sauce piquante that is pretty close to dbaio1's and it is pretty good also.

Make 'em both.

Comment

I like rabbit stew. Find just about any stew recipe you like and substitue rabbit. Typically we will braise (sp?) the meat by following the method above (batter and fry it) but then put it in the stock pot and let it simmer for an hour or two depending on how old that wild rabbit was.

Comment

Back woods bound dot com,I love rabbit

Comment

Sauce piquante is the stuff.

Comment

Hmm, making me hungry

Comment

Working...
                  X