Beef Wellington

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Wellington

Here is my recipe for Beef Wellington (bits and pieces taken from several recipes I've tried over the years). You can also make it with pork loin.

1 Beef Tenderloin; 2-3 lbs
    Mustard
    Rub Mixture (I make Emeril Lagasse's Essence and keep in the spice drawer)
    1 tablespoon of olive oil
    About 12 strips of bacon or Prosciutto
    2tbs butter
    1/2 cup of yellow onion or shallots minced
    1 1/2 tsp of minced garlic
    Pinch of Salt
    Pinch of Pepper
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    Puff Pastry sheets
    1 egg, beaten and 1tsp of water for egg wash

Rub mustard on tenderloin until it is completely coated. Sprinkle with rub mixture. Heat the oil in a heavy skillet on med-high heat.

On a jellyroll pan, lay out saran wrap with enough length to tie the ends past the tenderloin. Lay the bacon or prosciutto in a rectangle so that it will completely wrap around the tenderloin.

Sear the tenderloin on all sides in the heated pan, for a total of about 3 mins. Transfer the tenderloin to the bacon, and wrap the bacon around the loin using the plastic wrap to help guide the bacon. Seal off and tie the ends of the plastic wrap and transfer the loin to the fridge to rest for about 30 mins.

On a greased and lightly floured jellyroll pan, roll out the puff pastry so that it is long enough to completely cover the tenderloin, to about 1/4" thickness. For bigger tenderloins, an additional sheet may be needed.

Heat the oven to 375f.

In a sauté pan on med heat, melt the butter. Add the onions and garlic and season with the salt and pepper. Cook for 2 mins, until softened, and carefully pour in the wine. Simmer, until most of the wine has evaporated. Spread mixture on puff pastry.

Remove the tenderloin from the fridge and the plastic wrap. Wrap the tenderloin in the puff pastry, using a floured fork to seal. Place the seal side down on the greased jellyroll pan. Score the top with the back side of a knife, taking care not to cut all the way through the puff pastry. Brush the entire thing with the egg wash. Cook in the oven until the meat temp reads 135 for Med Rare. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 mins. Slice and serve.

****Sorry if the pictures are not the finest - I was taking them on my cell phone while trying to cook.****

First off, a stop at Granzins and a look at the locals:
    Attached Files

Searing the beef and the starting the bacon wrap
    Attached Files

Comment

The completed bacon wrap
      Attached Files

Comment

The sauteed onions after the wine reduced, onions on the puff pastry, cooking, and the final product (unfortunatly, some of the puff pastry separated).
        Attached Files

Comment

Looks awesome. I'll be making this soon

Comment

Drool...

Comment

Wow that looks good

Comment

Working...
              X