Whole hog recipe help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whole hog recipe help

Ok Im going to be smoking a whole hog this weekend and need some advice. Any would be appreciated. Hog weighed in at 55 lbs on the hoof. I found a good recipe online but wanted to see what yall would use. I skinned the hog but didnt trim any fat. Also should I let the meat marinade over night or straight to the pit? If I let it sit over night I dont know where I would store it

Also would yall recommend splitting the breast bone and butterly the ribs out or leave em as is

Comment

I would butterfly and spread pig open

inject the heck out of it with your favorite homemade marinade or some injectable marinade bought at store (butter garlic , creole garlic, etc...)

use knife to cut holes and stuff the entire pig with mixture of : minced or whole garlic, diced onions, dried oregano, ragin blaze, chopped cilantro, black pepper, cup of orange juice.

let marinade overnight in ice chest and place bag of ice on pig to keep temp. cool ... OR place pig in a body bag and keep in refrigerator over night

before placing on pit or grill, inject pig with more liquid marinade

place ribs / cavity side up and pour liquid marinade inside cavity and generous coating of RB or similar seasoning

maintain pit temp at 225 and cook for 2 hours.

then turn pig over with back side up .... score pigs back in X pattern and sprinkle more RB over entire pig

cook another 1.5 - 2 hrs until internal temps are 165 or meat falls off the bone

you can make a rack with S hooks to secure pig flat. should look like this

another option as pictured at the cochon de lait ..... secure pig in rack, build fire, and rotate pig front/back side as needed

Last edited by Cajun Blake; 03-19-2014, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Dang Cajun Blake! guess you have done that a time or 2!! Awesome recipe...I'll have to try it out some time!
        Thanks Pete

Comment

Thanks a ton cajun that was a killer write up! I cant wait to put it to work. You wrote that up like you cook em for a living good job again. So when you go to stuff the meat your just cutting pockets to fill up with veggies and spices? Was it a bad idea to skin it? The one you got there still has skin looks like

Comment

I skin them also. I also split the backbone and cut the head off so it lays flat. Fun project

Comment

Originally posted by TX_H-F View Post
              Thanks a ton cajun that was a killer write up! I cant wait to put it to work. You wrote that up like you cook em for a living good job again. So when you go to stuff the meat your just cutting pockets to fill up with veggies and spices? Was it a bad idea to skin it? The one you got there still has skin looks like
              skin on or off , matter of personal choice

with the skin on, you can make traditional cracklins

cut small deep hole in meat and stuff as pictured below

Comment

Working...
              X