Flat Iron Steak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat Iron Steak?

I've got 2#s of flat iron steak. What's the best way to marinate/cook/utilize them?
    Attached Files

I use Flat Iron for fajitas - comes out more tender and less chewy than skirt steak.

Comment

Chimichurri sauce all the way

flat iron steak

1 tbs good balsamic vinegar
      olive oil, to coat
      salt and pepper, to season

Chimichurri:

1 cup fresh parsley, packed
      1/2 cup fresh cilantro, packed
      1 shallot, chopped
      1 jalapeño, chopped
      6 roasted garlic cloves
      1/2 cup olive oil
      1/3 cup red wine vinegar
      3/4 tsp crushed red pepper
      1 tsp kosher salt
      1/2 tsp freshly-ground black pepper

Instructions
      1.In advance, make the chimichurri: Add the parsley, cilantro, shallot, jalapeño, garlic, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper to a food processor. Pulse for 5-10 seconds to combine. With the food processor running, slowly add the vinegar and then the olive oil until blended. Set aside.

2.Prior to cooking, let the steaks sit out for about 30 minutes to bring them to room temperature. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with the balsamic vinegar and just enough olive oil to coat.

3.Heat a grill-pan over medium-high heat. Add the steaks to the pan. Cook 2-3 minutes per side, then flip the steaks and cook other side 2-3 minutes. Remove from the pan, and let rest about 5 minutes. Slice the meat in thin strips and drizzle with the chimichurri sauce. Serve immediately, with more chimichurri sauce on the side.

Comment

^^^ What he said

Comment

I've got them marinating and will whip up the chimichurri for tomorrow evening. Havn't ever tried a green sauce like that. Looking forward to it! How hot is it? I guess I can control the hotness by removing seeds?

Comment

Originally posted by perfectstorm View Post
            I've got them marinating and will whip up the chimichurri for tomorrow evening. Havn't ever tried a green sauce like that. Looking forward to it! How hot is it? I guess I can control the hotness by removing seeds?
            jalapenos are optional as I don't use them in my normal recipe since I control the heat with crushed red pepper flakes

the recipe above was a copy/paste but your basic chimichurri sauce recipe

I take 1/2 the sauce and marinate the beef ... spoon onto the steak and cover good .... wrap in seran wrap and let marinate for 6 - 24 hrs.

when steak comes off the grill/pit, let stand for 5 minutes, slice, & then use remaining chimichurri to cover and spoon onto meat

this stuff is the real deal

Comment

I also do the same with skirt steak which is prices around $5.99 / lb.

skirt steak has lots of flavor as I like to heat grill real hot .... over 600*

place meat on grill for 1-2 min each side , remove from grill and let sit for 5 min.

Comment

Originally posted by perfectstorm View Post
                If you've never tried chimichurri, you're in for a real treat!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                  Chimichurri sauce all the way

flat iron steak

1 tbs good balsamic vinegar
                  olive oil, to coat
                  salt and pepper, to season

Chimichurri:

1 cup fresh parsley, packed
                  1/2 cup fresh cilantro, packed
                  1 shallot, chopped
                  1 jalapeño, chopped
                  6 roasted garlic cloves
                  1/2 cup olive oil
                  1/3 cup red wine vinegar
                  3/4 tsp crushed red pepper
                  1 tsp kosher salt
                  1/2 tsp freshly-ground black pepper

Instructions
                  1.In advance, make the chimichurri: Add the parsley, cilantro, shallot, jalapeño, garlic, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper to a food processor. Pulse for 5-10 seconds to combine. With the food processor running, slowly add the vinegar and then the olive oil until blended. Set aside.

2.Prior to cooking, let the steaks sit out for about 30 minutes to bring them to room temperature. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with the balsamic vinegar and just enough olive oil to coat.

3.Heat a grill-pan over medium-high heat. Add the steaks to the pan. Cook 2-3 minutes per side, then flip the steaks and cook other side 2-3 minutes. Remove from the pan, and let rest about 5 minutes. Slice the meat in thin strips and drizzle with the chimichurri sauce. Serve immediately, with more chimichurri sauce on the side.

This recipe might deserve it's own thread...

Can someone splain the difference between skirt steak and flat iron steak.. Price, tenderness, quality, thickness and of course taste...

Comment

I need to come eat with you Cajun Blake you always have great recipes thanks for posting them

Comment

flat iron is from the shoulder area , aka top blade steak

skirt is used for fajitas and comes from the short plate area ; in between brisket and flank

both cuts are great for grilling and have great flavor

Comment

Originally posted by tod View Post
                        This recipe might deserve it's own thread...

Can someone splain the difference between skirt steak and flat iron steak.. Price, tenderness, quality, thickness and of course taste...
                        [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TMoU5ahB-4"]Learn to cut Flat Iron Steaks - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Fajitas all the way soy and pineapple juice

Comment

Sounds great,do what they said

Comment

Holy Cow that looks great...

Comment

Working...
                              X