sauce piquante

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sauce piquante

My grandmother use to make it all the time but has kind of lost her touch since she has gotten older. Can't tell her that or she would kick my butt. Asked her how to make sauce piquante and she said I don't have to learn she would just make it for me. So anybody here have a good recipe? I know cajun blake has to have something he can share

Here's my son's and I can attest that it's pretty good.

WELL LETS START OFF BY SAYING WHEN I COOK I DONT MESSURE A WHOLE LOT SO JUST ADD TO TASTE. AND THIS RECIPE MAKES A BIG POT.

2 29 OZ CANS OF TOMATO SAUSE
    2 12 OZ CANS OF TOMATO PASTE
    2 8 OZ CANS OF MUSHROOMS
    2 LARGE WHITE ONIONS
    1 GREEN BELL PEPPER
    MINCED GARLIC - O BOUT WHATEVER MUCH
    1/2 CUP SUGAR
    1/2 TEASPOON OF LIQUID CRAB BOIL
    CRUSHED RED PEPPER
    4-5 TBL OLIVE OIL
    3 TO 5 POUNDS DEER MEAT / CUT FOR STEW MEAT
    1 YO 2 POUNDS GREEN ONION SAUSAGE / SLICED
    NO WATER

I LIKE TO MARINATE THE DEER MEAT IN CAJUN INJECTOR CREOLE GARLIC FOR ABOUT A DAY IN THE FRIDGE. IF YOU CANT FIND THE CREOLE GARLIC JUST MARINATE IT IN YOUR FOVORITE WHATEVER.

START OFF BY SAUTEING THE ONIONS AND BELL PEPPER WITH THE OLIVE OIL. WHEN IT IS ALMOST DONE ADD THE GARLIC AND SAUTE JUS A LIL BIT LONGER. THEN ADD THE TOMATO SAUSE AND SUGAR. BRING TO LIGHT BOIL AND SIMMER FOR ABOUT 20 MINUTES. THEN ADD THE DEER MEAT AND THE MARINADE, BRING BACK TO BOIL AND THEN REDUCE TO SIMMER ON LOW / MEDIUM. ONCE THIS HAS COOKED FOR ABOUT AN HOUR OR SO PUT SAUSAGE IN MICROWAVE OR COOK IN SKILLET JUST ENOUGH TO RELAESE SOME OF THE FAT, THEN DRAIN AND PAT SAUSAGE WITH PAPER TOWEL THEN ADD. AT THIS TIME ADD THE REST OF THE INGREDIENTS AND COOK TILL THE DEER MEAT IS TENDER. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO THICKEN IT UP REMOVE SOME OF THE JUICES AND MIX THE TOMATO PASTE AND POOR BACK IN.

SERVE OVER RICE.

Comment

Got some gator I'm going to use this weekend to make it. Thanks for sharing

Comment

Originally posted by rconn View Post
        Got some gator I'm going to use this weekend to make it. Thanks for sharing
        I've used his recipe for gator also and it came out great.

Comment

Here is one I like to cook. It's from Chef John Folse. You can sub the Rabbit or Squirrel with any meat, chicken, fish, shrimp etc.

Rabbit and Squirrel Sauce Piquante
          PREP TIME: 2 Hours
          SERVES: 8

COMMENT:
          Sauce piquante, or peppery sauce, is a stew-like dish of French origin in Louisiana. It can be made with seafood, domesticated meats or wild game. Tomato is added to the dish to give it a slight rusty color. Although called peppery, the sauce has just the right touch of spice.

INGREDIENTS:

1 rabbit cut into 8 pieces
          1 squirrel cut into 8 pieces
          1 cup oil
          1 cup flour
          1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
          2 cups chopped onions
          1 cup chopped celery
          ½ cup chopped bell peppers
          2 tbsps diced garlic
          1 (10-ounce) can Rotel tomatoes
          1 (16-ounce) can whole tomatoes
          1 quart beef stock
          2 tbsps sugar
          salt to taste
          black pepper to taste
          cayenne pepper to taste
          ½ tsp oregano
          2 tbsps Worcestershire Sauce
          ½ cup sliced green onions
          ¼ cup chopped parsley

METHOD:
          In a heavy-bottomed Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Season rabbit and squirrel using salt and peppers and sauté until golden brown. Remove from oil and keep warm. Add flour to pot and, using a wire whisk, stir until dark brown roux is achieved. Add onions, celery, bell peppers and garlic. Sauté 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are wilted. Add tomato paste and continue to stir 5-6 minutes or until the sauce is a nice brown color. Add tomatoes and beef stock. Blend well into the roux mixture, bring to a rolling boil and reduce to simmer. Add meat, sugar, salt and peppers. Blend well. Add oregano and Worcestershire. Allow to simmer 1 hour or until game is tender. Finish with green onions and parsley. Serve over a plate of steamed white rice.

Comment

tomorrow is the day- the wife doesn't think I can do it lol

Comment

looks good

Comment

sounds good

Comment

In for that recipe. Looks good and fairly easy to make.

Comment

Working...
                  X