Sausage casings - Abilene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sausage casings - Abilene

Anyone know a good place to by them in the Abilene area? I'd rather not order them online if I don't have to. But I'm not going to drive 2 hours for them either...

what are you looking for, size??? can call me at 281-414-3942

Comment

Comment

HEB usually has a few packages of the natural gut casings and a few pouches of seasoning. I had to have help finding it at our store. It was in the meat dept. on the display rack that holds the pepproni and other dried sausages slice packs.

Comment

Went ahead and just ordered stuff online this time. Everything from casing to seasoning to high temp cheese.

Do you have a recommendation Meatcutter? For future reference. I went with 35/38mm natural hog casing.

Comment

Just saw this, I have bought mine at HEB and just saw them there the other day. They are on the northwest corner of the meat area. Also Academy had some, I think.

Comment

Most of texas uses the 35/38 pre-flush bag, whiskers, hog casings for making smoked sausage. If you want to do dry sausage, might go smaller to a 32/35. Call me next time have samples here at home. Can I ask what the cost of the hog casing was??

Comment

$18 flushed/salted. And says will make 100-125lb. Doesn't give a length.

Comment

looks good

Comment

looks good

Comment

Academy sometimes carries the LEM rebranded casings
                      HEB carries casings
                      Your local meat market may carry them (mine do.)
                      AlliedKenco.co has them (I can actually drive down there - but do so to pickup seasonings, etc.)

Comment

A true hank is 100 yards. A 35/38 should get you around 135-140lbs. Good luck stuffing! Also, if you don't use all of it, drain off water, put in ziplock bag, pour in salt and refrigerate of freeze.
                        Last edited by Meatcutter; 02-25-2014, 06:07 PM.

Comment

I'm about to start mixing/seasoning my meat tomorrow. I see a lot of mixes use water or beer or another liquid. Do you just add it in with the meat like anything else and let it mix? Is there a technique to it when adding liquid?

Comment

I have all my meat mixed the way I want it. I stuffed some regular, seasoned sausage just fine but my grinder is gunking up with the jalepeno cheese. I have hi-temp cheese. But I am stuffing it just refrigerated cold. Should I be stuffing my sausage slightly frozen?

Comment

Are you grinding and stuffing as you go? We season, grind,add cheese and then stuff. Jalapenos go in the grind step.

Comment

Working...
                              X