Making Jerky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making Jerky

Does anyone have a good guide for making jerky (beef or venison). I've always wanted to make my own but never knew how and thought you guys might have some good tips and maybe a step by step guide for making your own. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Ttt

Comment

Search Shane, I use his recipe all the time

Comment

Originally posted by bps3040 View Post
        Search Shane, I use his recipe all the time
        Where do I search that? In google?

Comment

Search function on toolbar.

Comment

I'd get a High Mountain seasoning kit and follow those instructions for a first timer.

Comment

First try

Here's my first attempt at jerky. It came out pretty darn good, but it was HOT! I think next time I'm cutting the pepper back by half or two thirds. I think this batch took about 4 hours in the oven.

Ingredients:

• ½ Cup Dales Steak Seasoning (Low Sodium)
              • ½ Cup Soy Sauce
              • ¼ Cup Honey
              • 2 Tbls Brown Sugar
              • 1 Tbls Black Pepper
              • 1 Tbls Red Pepper Flakes
              • ½ Tbls Kosher Salt
              • ½ Tbls Garlic Powder
              • ½ Tbls Onion Powder
              • About 5 pounds lean Axis (long muscle in hind quarter)

Instructions:

Mix all ingredients for marinade. Might benefit from heating to dissolve salt and sugar (I didn’t do that this time). Slice meat across the grain about 1/8” to 1/4” thick. It helps to freeze the meat for a few minutes before you slice it. Also use a sharp knife. Mix the meat and marinade in a large bowl, make sure all pieces are separated and coated. Transfer to a Ziploc bag and refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours. Line the bottom of your oven with heavy duty foil, try to cover heating elements too. Use tooth picks or skewers to hang strips of meat on the oven racks. Set oven to lowest temperature (170 to 200 degrees). Put a wooden spoon in the oven door to prop it open slightly, this will allow the moisture to escape. Check it after about two and a half hours. The meat should be dry and firm to the touch when done. If you over “cook” it it will be brittle and crack.

Comment

Thanks for the tips! Looking forward to seeing if anyone else chimes in with their recipes as well!

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJanow View Post
                  I'd get a High Mountain seasoning kit and follow those instructions for a first timer.
                  even not a first timer. Just plain awesome stuff

Comment

Here is what I do and it is good for either beef or venison. If you use beef go to your local grocery store and purchase a eye of round roast or any other pieced of beef that looks lean. Take it home and pop it in the freezer for 30 to 45 minutes to get it firm. Use a sharp knife and trim all the fat off of the roast, because fat does not dry. Cut the beef as thin or as thick as you want it. I like to use KC Masterpiece Caribbean Jerk marinade (there are other Caribbean jerk marinades, but I prefer KC Masterpiece). I marinade the beef over night. You can then either use a dehydrator or oven to dehydrate the meat. If you use the oven method make sure to line the bottom rack with foil so you don't have a huge mess. Take the meat and use a toothpick as a skewer. Place the meat through the metal rack so it is hanging by the toothpick. Turn your oven on the lowest temperature setting and prop the door open with a wooden spoon so the air can circulate. You need to check the meat after a few hours because there is no set time on how long it takes to dry. That will all depend on the thickness of the meat.

Comment

Texas best beef jerky has a great liquid marinade

Comment

My jerky guy (my boys girlfriends father) buys Fiesta Fajita seasoning and course black pepper. He smokes it in a controlled smoke house at 160-180 degrees for 8 hours.

Comment

Fiesta Brand Seasoning has a Jerky seasoning that's really good. Hard to find also. But think you could get it online. Good Luck.

Comment

looks good

Comment

Working...
                            X