Need some good recipes for Deer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some good recipes for Deer!

Hey I just got back from a deer hunting trip from the great state of Texas and have quite a few deer to eat. I need some good blackstrap recipes, some good rubs, good ways to smoke it. Just any good recipes to get me going. Any good ole Texas recipes!
    Thanks!

Go to recipes and look at what all is already been posted, but my favorite is I make a shishkabob backstrap wrapped in maple bacon with a big slice of fresh jap pepper also just flour salt pepper and chicken fry it OMG!

Comment

Dang that does sound good I'll try it! Thanks!

Comment

Soak back strap(cut in thin slices ) in milk at least an hour, season flour to your liking , I use garlic salt garlic powder, pepper and Tony's, mix an egg with some milk, dip backstrap in egg/milk mix, then flour and fry until coating a golden brown,remove from grease. I also cut some onion and throw in the grease to fry with my meat, removing when golden brown. You can use the left over flour to mix with the grease, adding flour first then water to make a gravy as well when ur done cooking all the meat.

Comment

**Chicken Fry** Butterfly fileting and tenderizing straps into steaks for chicken frying is great, I use a flower, beer, and eggs for batter and season the meat before battering. Fry till golden and enjoy with.....anything!

**Fajitas** I also like to cut the backstrap into small thin strips like fajita meat and kind of saute it with onions and peppers to make venison fajitas (season like you would beef fajitas, I like fiesta fajita seasoning).

**Grilled/Broiled Backstrap** Seasoned and wrapped in bacon, grilled or broiled (use some juices (worchester, beer, water, etc..if broiled to keep a little moist then it also makes a great slop). When grilled I cook it about medium and then slice and serve.

**Kabobs** Seasoned like steak and grilled with onions, potatoes, squash/zuichini, and whatever else you like.

You can always marinate it and get good flavors but in my opinion you lose a lot of the venison taste that way.

I have never tried to smoke venison, I imagine it is a bit too lean to smoke well. Others may chime in and say otherwise.

My go to seasonings are Lawrys Seasoning Salt, Pepper and Garlic..simple but great. Fiesta Fajita Seasoning is good also.

Good luck and enjoy!

Comment

Makes great stir fry too! This is tenderloin stir fry. Use a mix at the store for the Chinese seasoning. Served with chow mein.

Comment

Originally posted by Arciere View Post
              Soak back strap(cut in thin slices ) in milk at least an hour, season flour to your liking , I use garlic salt garlic powder, pepper and Tony's, mix an egg with some milk, dip backstrap in egg/milk mix, then flour and fry until coating a golden brown,remove from grease. I also cut some onion and throw in the grease to fry with my meat, removing when golden brown. You can use the left over flour to mix with the grease, adding flour first then water to make a gravy as well when ur done cooking all the meat.
              Exactly how we do it. I use milk instead of water for the gravy. Makes it thicker and thats how I like it.

Comment

Carne guisada is my favorite. Theres a good recipe on here somewhere

Comment

Now I'm starving

Comment

If you'd like a Cajun twist, here's a link to my stew and my sons sauce picante'.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJanow View Post
                      Carne guisada is my favorite. Theres a good recipe on here somewhere

Yup or bacon wrapped or chicken fried I like it any way it's deer meat

Comment

Working...
                      X