What's your best pheasant recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have never cooked pheasant, and aren't sure what to do with it. It seems like it would be fairly easy since it's pretty light meat, but I'd like to know what the green screen says about it!

One of the best ways I have done it is cut into chunks, bacon wrap with Jalapeno, then grill it like you would do dove.

Pheasant is very lean and can be dry.

Comment

Good to know! Thanks for the tip shooter!

Comment

I fillet the breasts off, pound them flat with a tenderizing mallet and then batter and chicken fry them in a cast iron skillet. Make cream gravy with the renderings. Incredible stuff!

J.P.

Comment

Originally posted by jpbruni View Post
          I fillet the breasts off, pound them flat with a tenderizing mallet and then batter and chicken fry them in a cast iron skillet. Make cream gravy with the renderings. Incredible stuff!

J.P.
          I vote this^^^

Comment

Cook it like beer can chicken. Awesome!

Comment

It's greta but will dry out just like quail. In fact treat it like a big quail.. I have pan fried it until batter is done then put in a dutch oven on a wire rack, put lid one, and finished in oven with great results

Comment

Originally posted by jpbruni View Post

J.P.
                X3. Chicken fried pheasant is very good!

Comment

I like phesant and duck in stir fry. With snow peas bell peppers white onions over white rice and soy sauce.

Comment

We like to brine them for 24'ish hours then smoke them low and slow. Always turned out pretty good for us.

Brine
                    2 gallons Apple Cider
                    2 cups kosher salt
                    2 cups brown sugar
                    1/2 tablespoon crushed red pepper
                    1 cup lime juice

Combine all in a large stockpot over medium low heat until salt and sugar are melted and well combined. Cool.
                    Place birds in a large roasting bag, pour cooled brine over them, close bag and place in ice chest with lots of Ice for 24'ish hours. Remove birds after brining, and let come up to room temp before smoking.

Lay strips of bacon over breast and place on smoker breast up inside a shallow roaster pan and Slow smoke over low heat until they are about to fall apart. The juices make a pretty good gravy, we like it with brown rice and some caramelized onions.

Enjoy.
                    Last edited by jesterdoc; 10-30-2013, 09:18 PM.

Comment

We have tried them a lot of ways but I think smoked pheasant is probably one of our favorites.

Comment

Here's one that came out great; Pheasant Parmesan.
                        Substitute pheasant breast meat for the chicken.

Ingredients:

1/3 cup onion
                        1 clove garlic
                        1 tbsp Butter
                        1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes
                        1/2 tsp Sugar
                        1/4 cup fresh basil
                        4 chicken breast halves
                        1/3 cup bread crumbs
                        4 tbsp parmesan cheese
                        1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
                        1 egg
                        2 tbsp milk
                        3 tbsp olive oil
                        1/4 cup mozzarella cheese

Preparation:
                        1. For sauce cook onion in butter until tender. Stir in undrained tomatoes, sugar, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Simmer 10min. Stir in basil

2. Use flat side of meat mallet to flatten chicken breasts to 1/4 inch thick

3. Stir together bread crumbs, 3tbs parmesan cheese, and the oregano. In a second dish stir together the egg and milk. Dip chicken in egg mixture; then crumb mixture

4. Use large skillet and cook chick over hot oil for 2-3 minutes per side

5. Spoon sauce over chicken. Top with mozzarella cheese and remaing parmesan. Let cheese melt before serving

Comment

Just to let everyone know, I made pheasant pot pie and it was out of this world!!

Comment

I took 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup and 2 packs of rice a roni wild rice added skinned pheasant. Covered and cooked in the oven. It was pretty darn good.

Comment

Working...
                            X