Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

~ Best way to marinate HOG MEAT ? draw the gaminess out ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

~ Best way to marinate HOG MEAT ? draw the gaminess out ?

Okay all you cooking guru's. Have a question. Complete newb to the world of preparing hog meat. I have hams, tenderloins and backstrap that I want to fix up. Prior to that... is there a good way to marinate or take out the gaminess of the meat ?

My favorites is Carnitas-Use oven safe pan

-Cover bottom of pan with sliced onions
    -Rub shoulder, ham, etc with minced garlic, salt, and pepper on both sides
    -Place seasoned shoulder on bed of onions
    -Squeeze 7-8 limes over shoulder
    -Put 1/2" of water in bottom of pan
    -Cover with foil and place in oven at 250 degrees for around 4 - 4.5 hours
    -Once cooked, pull meat apart (it will be stringy and sticky), wrap in tortilla and enjoy!
    -

Comment

Another good one is to do it like a roast using a crockpot

-cut ham, etc. into cubes and brown it.
      -place browned meat, can of cream of mushroom soup, a chopped onion, a lot of garlic, cubed potatoes, carrots, cabbage, salt, pepper, etc. in crockpot.
      -fill crockpot up with water
      - Cook at medium for around 6-7 hours

Comment

The quickest and easiest way is to go to the store and buy a bottle of Dale's marinade. I get the low sodium one because the regular can be a little too salty. Slice your backstraps and put them in a bag with the Dale's to soak. The time really doesn't matter. After soaking them just put them on the grill at a low temp. Just don't over cook them!

Comment

Sorry, I just read your post again and realized that you just want to know how to get the gaminess out. I think the best way is to leave them in the cooler after quartering them for 4-7 days. Keep the chest full of ice and drain the blood/water out everyday. Good Luck!

Comment

Saltwater works well. I like to marinate hog shoulders/hams in wishbone italian dressing and slow cook them in a foil boat for a few hours. Falls right off the bone.

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
              Sorry, I just read your post again and realized that you just want to know how to get the gaminess out. I think the best way is to leave them in the cooler after quartering them for 4-7 days. Keep the chest full of ice and drain the blood/water out everyday. Good Luck!
              Exactly. Then the day before cooking it, I always marinate it in a 50/50 mixture of Italian dressing and worstershire and let it soak overnight.

Comment

Best bet is to only shoot the nice smelling, ungamey ones

I've read about adding a cup of vinegar and a bottle of Real brand lemon juice to the iced down hog. Change the ice and vinegar/lemon juice daily until the meat turns pink like store-bought pork. If it gets dark, cut down on the vinegar. I've never tried it but some people swear by it.

A lot of folks on the hog hunting board swear by Gamefix (https://www.getgamefix.com/) but I've never tried it either.

Comment

Shoot little sows!

Comment

Working...
                  X