Watching this too. Interesting

Comment

Rinsed the pork with wine.

Dried it with paper towels.

Rubbed it with cayenne, red pepper, and black pepper

Hung in the wine cooler at 42 degrees
      Attached Files

Comment

Haaa!! I like it, using the wine cooler to hang meat. Good conversation starter for guests.

Comment

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
          hmmm everything i read said to use kosher salt. what else would you use?
          Sorry for the delay in answering been up at my little farm without internet. I would add a little curing salt to the kosher. Just a little added long term protection against spoilage.

I made a small ham once using the kosher only method and it made the meat a grey color and not the pink tint that we normally see in a ham. Tasted fine, just looked a little different.

The link below is a chef talking about the use of curing salt if you want to take a look.

Comment

They have been hanging for over a month now. No smell so it must be working!

Comment

Any updates? I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Comment

opps i forgot about this thread.

So yes it worked! The meat cured properly and it was salty and good.

My mess up was I shouldve bought a domestic pig. The "wild taste" didnt come out at all, it wasnt bad just didnt taste like normal prosciutto.

Also if you do this have access to a meat slicer. It very hard to cut it thin with a regular knife.

Comment

Please post pics!

Comment

Originally posted by TxSportsman View Post
                    Please post pics!
                    I screwed up and didnt take any!

Comment

Thats awesome im gonna be looking on CL for a wine fridge!

Comment

Working...
                      X