Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Brisket question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket question

So everywhere that I have read states 1.25-1.5 hrs per pound @ 180-200 degrees when smoking a brisket. I built myself a smoker this year and this is my first season using it. When I cooked my last briskets I cooked at 200-250 and the meat was "done" in 4-6 hours (4 hrs for a 10 lb brisket and 6 for a 12.5 brisket. The fat however on the brisket was like the fat on a rare steak. I dont want to over cook the meat but I would like a tender juicy cut of meat. Any suggestions.

When you say done what was the internal temperature?

Glenn

Comment

180 was the internal temp on the first brisket but i broke my thermometer after that cooking session.

Comment

Try cooking your next one to 205 ish. wrap in foil once it reaches 165.

Comment

I like to smoke mine about 4 to 6 hours at 225 and not over 250, then wrap in foil. That gives it enough time to pretty much cook, get a good smoke ring and the foil will keep in moist. Cook the remainder of the time as you listed above, but move the brisket to the point furtherest away from the heat. It should just about fall apart.... good luck

Comment

Get a better thermometer...

Comment

If your briskets are done in 4-6 hrs or you still have fat left not rendered from the meat your are doing it all wrong. Cook to internal temp of 200°. That means in the very middle. If you had fat as described your internal temp was not 180° for long enough.

Comment

195-205 internal. wrapped in foil (either in the middle of the cook or at the end) and then wrapped in a towel and allowed to rest in a cooler for a minimum of an hour and you'll see an entirely different result.

did an 11# on saturday that took 11 hours at 225. hung up at 167 for close to 2 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdaddy590 View Post
                  So everywhere that I have read states 1.25-1.5 hrs per pound @ 180-200 degrees when smoking a brisket. I built myself a smoker this year and this is my first season using it. When I cooked my last briskets I cooked at 200-250 and the meat was "done" in 4-6 hours (4 hrs for a 10 lb brisket and 6 for a 12.5 brisket. The fat however on the brisket was like the fat on a rare steak. I don't want to over cook the meat but I would like a tender juicy cut of meat. Any suggestions.
                  I like to cook mine at 275. I let the fire get going really good for at least an hour sometimes 2 hours before I put anything on it.

I put them on and let them smoke close to the firebox for a couple of hours and then pull them off and wrap in foil. I put them back on furthest from the fire box and let them slow cook for several more hours until done. I was taught by my step dad to cook them with the fat side up. I know there has been some debate on this but I am sharing what works for me.

I was taught by my step dad at least 8 hours cooking time total. It is an all day affair. I would recommend a good meat thermometer. I still always check mine before I bring them off the pit. Over time though, you will be able to tell when they are done

Growing up, back in the day, my step dad would slow cook his briskets over night over coals. He had a fantastic well built custom pit that I wish I had today. Once he got his temp set, it would hold there all night over coals. There is nothing like waking up to the smell of some of the best mouth watering, perfectly cooked brisket in this world

Comment

225 at 50 minute per pound. Search final table brisket. Works every time.

Comment

either your temp was too high in the smoker or your thermometer was off. make sure you check the temp in the thickest part of the meat, not fat. do what these guys said and foil it when it reaches 165*. be patient. I use wireless digital thermometers. one in the meat, one in the smoker, be sure to keep the probe from touching metal. you can wrap it in a towel and stick it in a cooler when it hits 200*. it will rest and stay hot for hours!

Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by txfireguy2003 View Post
                        Try cooking your next one to 205 ish. wrap in foil once it reaches 165.
                        This^. I cook mine at 200-210 for an hour or so, until there is a nice bark. Then, I wrap it in foil, move as far away from the fire as I can get it and let it smoke t ~200 for another 8-10 hours.

Comment

For a non competition brisket here is what I do..........

Smoke at 220-225 for 2-4 hours (more than enough to get a good smoke ring and smoke flavor)
                          Wrap in foil
                          Cook another 2-4 hours at same temp.
                          Remove from smoker, open foil and let rest for an hour.
                          Slice and serve................. BBQ sauce AS A SIDE

Comment

at the very least 24 hours goes into every brisket that comes off my smoker. I brine 1 to 1.5 hours per pound. So you are looking at at least 10 hours there. Then I rub it down with dry rub and let it rest in the fridge for a couple of hours while I get the smoker ready. It goes on the smoker when the temp gets to 225. I keep the temp between 225 and 250 at all times. I put the brisket fat side up and smoke it for 4 to 5 hours depending on how much fat it has. A really fatty one I will let go up to 5 hours. Then I wrapping well in foil and let it cook until I have an internal temp of about 200 - 205. Usually another 6 to 8 hours.
                            After it comes off I put in a cooler and let it rest at least 2 hours before I unwrap and slice.

Comment

My method is like SixForty's but without the brine part. I let mine go overnight in a plastic bag in the refrigerator coated heavily in my dry rub.

Comment

Working...
                              X