Rib Bark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rib Bark?

I smoke a lot of ribs and love the taste and texture but have not perfected a good bark. I usually smoke them uncovered at 225-250 degrees for 3 hours and then finish them for 30 minutes wrapped in foil. I would like a slightly blackened, slightly crisp bark. Suggestions?

Anyone? They're on now...

Comment

Better let me come by and taste before I hand out my smoked wisdom.

Comment

I usuall do something similar to you but then i take them back out of the foil and put back directly on the grill to sear them again and get the desired bark.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech Shooter View Post
          I usuall do something similar to you but then i take them back out of the foil and put back directly on the grill to sear them again and get the desired bark.
          Hmmm...doing mine in a smoker.

Comment

be careful when foiling, since it can tenderize the bark a little. Cooking at the low temp usually wont give you much bark in 3.5 hours.

Not sure if you mop the ribs or not, but that could lead to less bark. If you do mop, then make sure the rub has firmly set on the meat before mopping.

Do you have enough rub on the ribs? The thing that may help the most is using something like honey, mustard, or evoo as a base before putting the rub on.

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
              be careful when foiling, since it can tenderize the bark a little. Cooking at the low temp usually wont give you much bark in 3.5 hours.

Not sure if you mop the ribs or not, but that could lead to less bark. If you do mop, then make sure the rub has firmly set on the meat before mopping.

Do you have enough rub on the ribs? The thing that may help the most is using something like honey, mustard, or evoo as a base before putting the rub on.
              Don't mop, think I have plenty of rub. Been in 2 hours...too late to drizzle with honey?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Smoker 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	24108245

Name:	Smoker 2.jpg
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	24108246

Name:	Smoker 3.jpg
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	24108247

Comment

Maybe drizzle it at the end. I'm afraid the sugar would just burn if put on there now. It does look like you have adequate rub on the ribs.

I think a real good bark takes longer to develop in a smoker. Like when I smoke a pork butt, it will be on the pit for 10-12 hours and it has a great bark. Typically, I associate bark with meats that are cooked longer.

For ribs, I just want a clean bite and snap, not fall off the bone.

The thing you may be seeking is a good crust? Which if this is the case, the addition of some sort of sugars at the end should get you where you want to be. Honey, brown sugar, or anything else that will caramelize will create a crust.

The mustard, honey, or evoo in pre-cooking just acts as a substrate for the rub to stick to the ribs better.

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
                  Maybe drizzle it at the end. I'm afraid the sugar would just burn if put on there now. It does look like you have adequate rub on the ribs.

I think a real good bark takes longer to develop in a smoker. Like when I smoke a pork butt, it will be on the pit for 10-12 hours and it has a great bark. Typically, I associate bark with meats that are cooked longer.

For ribs, I just want a clean bite and snap, not fall off the bone.

The thing you may be seeking is a good crust? Which if this is the case, the addition of some sort of sugars at the end should get you where you want to be. Honey, brown sugar, or anything else that will caramelize will create a crust.

The mustard, honey, or evoo in pre-cooking just acts as a substrate for the rub to stick to the ribs better.

Ah, yes, asked about "bark", should have said "crust". Adding honey now...

Comment

Let us know how it turns out.

Comment

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.....

Name:	Smoker 4.jpg
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	24108278

Name:	Smoker 5.jpg
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	24108281

Comment

Looks great. Enjoy.

Comment

Did you get the crust you were looking for?

Comment

I usually smoke mine for about 5 hours at 225. I do two hours w/o foil. Then 2 hours with foil then 1 hour w/o foil.

Comment

Wipe down ribs with mayo put over high heat for 30 min +or- then slow cook just like you are doing.

Comment

Working...
                              X