Help - first attempt at sausage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help - first attempt at sausage

Ok fellas, I've got 14lbs of venison and 14lbs of wild hog to make sausage. I was going to buy 25-30lbs of pork butts or trimmings to mix with it to help keep the sausage juicy and not dry.

When I packaged the meat, I tried to remove as much sinew and membrane as I could, but I could probably trim a little more. First question, how meticulous do I need to be in removing the membrane and sinew?

As for the recipe, I've got the Microsoft Excel workbook that someone posted on the forum for all of his sausage recipes. For my first try, would any of you recommend going with a recipe or with a seasoning "kit" from Cabela's/BassPro/etc.?

Finally, can I get casings from HEB, or should I go to a meat market, or what? The processor I've used in the past has a great recipe, but their casings are a little thick/tough for my preference. Any suggestions on where to get the casings?

I'm looking forward to giving this a try! I live in Pearland and have taken deer and hogs to Doreck's in Santa Fe, Kavosovik's in Rosenberg, and Fischer's in Tomball....all of which make OUTSTANDING game sausage. I'm hoping that my homemade stuff will at least be enjoyable...even better if its as good as these places.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Here is a good basic guide.http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/yf/foods/fn176.pdf
    .I use 1oz. of #1 cure for 25lbs. of meat.Here's my recipe.
    5 oz. pickling or kosher salt
    2.25 oz. of fresh ground black pepper
    1/8 oz. cayenne pepper
    1 Tbs. garlic powder
    2 tsp. ground majoram
    1 tsp ground mustard
    1 tsp. ground ginger
    1 oz. #1 cure

This is for 25# batch
    Last edited by Spike; 01-17-2008, 09:23 PM.

Comment

If you grind your meat while it's still a little frozen the stuff you didn't trim off will get chopped just fine.

The HEBs around my house sell hog casings very cheap. If you don't like hog casings, Academy sells collagen casings, but they are more expensive.

You could try a small batch, 1 or 2 lbs, using a spice mix from Academy, just to get your pork/venison ratio where you want it. I like to have anywhere from 50-65% venison.

I messed up my first few tries thinking I was too good a cook to need a recipe, I could figure it out on my own. That was a mistake. I like to cube the meat, mix it all up with the spices, let it sit overnight in the fridge, and then grind and stuff it.

Good luck with it. It's not rocket science, it should turn out just fine.

Comment

Heres all the stuff you will need, close to home.................http://www.alliedkenco.com

I have used the Leggs and Dobesh seasoning and they are both real good.

FW

Comment

As for removing the sinew,I just remove the real heavy stuff and don't worry too much about the lighter stuff.I like to make mine 60 pork/40 deer.The sausage is juicy but not greasy.I grind my pork through a 1/4" plate and the deer through a 3/8" plate.Disolve my spices in a cup or two of water and pour over the meat.I then mix the two meats thoroughly together by hand in a large plastic tub.Then I run this all back through a 3/8" plate.This gives me the grind I prefer and it insures the meat and spices get mixed evenly.I like to give this meat mixture at least 12-24 hours to season and cure before I smoke it.The casings,I've bought the small packs(they do 25lbs,) at HEB,but don't really like them too much.The diameter varies a lot and they are just a bunch of short pieces.I usually go to the meat market and buy a hank(this will do 125lbs.)these are in long pieces and the quaility is a lot better too.What I don't use,I pack them in salt in a sealed plastic bag and put them in the freezer for future use.
          Attached Files

Comment

Zach's Spice has want you need as far as seasonings and casings go, located in Deer Park.

Comment

that spreadsheet

As a new member, first let me say hi to everyone.. I sure would like to get a copy of that Microsoft spreadsheet mentioned..

Comment

Originally posted by cully View Post
                As a new member, first let me say hi to everyone.. I sure would like to get a copy of that Microsoft spreadsheet mentioned..

Comment

As for the recipe, I've got the Microsoft Excel workbook that someone posted on the forum for all of his sausage recipes. For my first try, would any of you recommend going with a recipe or with a seasoning "kit" from Cabela's/BassPro/etc.?

Avon Calling!

That would be me. Fire away with questions.

I'm partial to my recipes but there are some companies out there that make good ones.

First off. Sausage making is easier than everyone thinks. Especially if you're not going to smoke it.

2nd Just cut off the heavy sinew the grinder will do the rest.

3rd. Come to Nanza and I will be making sausage!

Comment

Working...
                  X