Smoked brisket HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked brisket HELP!!

So, Chris & I are going camping with a bunch of friends in a few weeks. I wasn't around when they were planning the menu and he volunteered me to smoke a brisket for dinner one night. (He thinks I can cook anything!! Lol) Thing is... I've only ever smoked ribs. Never done a brisket! Soooooo, I need help!!!

What in the heck do I need to do? Are they as simple as ribs? I have mesquite wood chunks I plan on using in our smoker (that's what I use for the ribs.) How long? Rub? Do I wrap it? HELP!

Let me know!

Thanks so much folks!

I use brisket rub place in smoker unwrapped fat side up for a 3 hours then wrap in foil until done

Comment

Good rule of thumb for brisket is 1 hour per pound at 225F. You are going to get lots of do this and don't do this.

I am in the no foil until after cooking is complete camp. I dont want to make roast, which is IMO what happens when you cook it in foil.

I also cook mine fat side down. The fat cap helps protect against any flare ups that might occur with the fire and I don't like greasy brisket.

I like a dry rub w/ paprika, garlic, brown sugar, cumin, etc.

Comment

Google it

Comment

Here ya go. I've been trying, but don't hve it down yet.

Comment

no foil ever, it will taste like a roast if you do.

Comment

Use your favorite rub, (a lot) Make a pan out of foil about like a cookie sheet to hold the juice. Smoke unwrapped, fat side down for an hour per pound at 225. Pull it off and wrap in foil and place in a clean dry empty ice chest for an hour or two, until ready to serve. It will stay hot all day. Slice it up and baste with reserved juices. They will think you have been doing it for years.

Comment

use the final table brisket that BrianL posted...lots of slow smoke try to keep the temp constant....and if they dont like it....make them eat it.....

Comment

This has been asked so much, why is final table brisket not stickied atop every section?

Comment

Originally posted by jmack View Post
                    This has been asked so much, why is final table brisket not stickied atop every section?
                    I plan on using his rub recipe but I had a few more questions that were vaguely answered on that thread.

Comment

Originally posted by NannySlayer View Post
                      I plan on using his rub recipe but I had a few more questions that were vaguely answered on that thread.
                      Don't wrap it, put the fat side down, 8lb brisket takes about 8 hours, and yes rub it...

Comment

Originally posted by art745 View Post
                        Don't wrap it, put the fat side down, 8lb brisket takes about 8 hours, and yes rub it...

Thx
                        I'm using a fire box. 20lb brisket.. And do I use just mesquite wood chunks? Charcoal?

Comment

What I do:

Night before I cook I season te brisket when my favorite brisket rub, wrap in foil, and put in the fridge (or cooler). I figure on 50 minutes to one hour per pound, but don't cook by time. About 1-2 hours before I want to start cooking, I take the meat out of the fridge and open up the foil so it can "breathe" and leave it out on the counter. When cook time rolls around, I place it on the smoker (which has already been running at 225 long enough to get all the metal hot and it's running steady) fat side down. I then place a meat thermometer in the thickest part of the meat, and close the lid. I don't open the lid again until my thermometer reads 165 degrees (I have a thermometer with an LED display that sticks to my cooker with magnets, and a wire that runs inside to the temperature probe). Once the meat reaches 165 degress internal, I pull it off, wrap it in foil, re-insert the thermometer, and place it back on the pit until it reaches 206 degrees (not a typo, I'm that specific, 206 exactly), then pull it off, still wrapped in foil, and place it in a cooler (no ice) to rest for a minimum of one hour. Then I take it out, slice it up and enjoy....and for the record, there is ZERO "roast flavor" to my briskets, although if I don't pay attention and let them go beyond 206 degrees, they fall apart like a well cooked pot roast, but they still taste like smoked brisket.

Comment

Your gonna need alot mesquite what kinda smoker is it?

Comment

Originally posted by txfireguy2003 View Post
                              What I do:

Night before I cook I season te brisket when my favorite brisket rub, wrap in foil, and put in the fridge (or cooler). I figure on 50 minutes to one hour per pound, but don't cook by time. About 1-2 hours before I want to start cooking, I take the meat out of the fridge and open up the foil so it can "breathe" and leave it out on the counter. When cook time rolls around, I place it on the smoker (which has already been running at 225 long enough to get all the metal hot and it's running steady) fat side down. I then place a meat thermometer in the thickest part of the meat, and close the lid. I don't open the lid again until my thermometer reads 165 degrees (I have a thermometer with an LED display that sticks to my cooker with magnets, and a wire that runs inside to the temperature probe). Once the meat reaches 165 degress internal, I pull it off, wrap it in foil, re-insert the thermometer, and place it back on the pit until it reaches 206 degrees (not a typo, I'm that specific, 206 exactly), then pull it off, still wrapped in foil, and place it in a cooler (no ice) to rest for a minimum of one hour. Then I take it out, slice it up and enjoy....and for the record, there is ZERO "roast flavor" to my briskets, although if I don't pay attention and let them go beyond 206 degrees, they fall apart like a well cooked pot roast, but they still taste like smoked brisket.
                              I have had this mans Brisket and it is to Die for.If he says 206 I would do 206.Seemed alittle different than the way I do it and I thought I cooked a good brisket til I had Txfireguy2003 brisket.It rivals the best I have had across the State.
                              Only thing I can add to what he said is that I use Regular and brown sugar in my rub.It melts and forms a crust that holds in moisture.I also like to inject mine with Apple juice to add moisture.It doesn't give the meat an apple flavor though.

Comment

Working...
                              X