Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Redeye gravy and biscuits for breakfast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redeye gravy and biscuits for breakfast

While checking some of my favorite sites, I seen some post about what people were cooking for breakfast and got an idea. I hadn't had some good ole redeye and sausage gray since I left the fire station 2 yrs ago. I didn't have any Jimmy Dean Maple sausage to use, so I adapted and used some of my fresh deer/pork sausage. I prefer a little Steen's motor oil syrup, but didn't have of that either, so I found some "Moon Shine" syrup", dunno, but it was good.

Start off with a light roux, 50/50 oil and flour, about 1/4 cup each. Then add a chopped onion and saute' till clear. Add one can of diced tomatoes and browned sausage. Season to taste, I like any type cajun seasoning and about 2 tbls of sugar and about 1/2 cup water. Simmer for about 20 min. Serve over and busted homemade cat head biscuit.

Last edited by firecapt186; 04-01-2012, 05:50 PM.

Looks great. Gonna have to try this. Thanks for the recipe.

Comment

What the syrup for? And did all the tomatoe juice make the gravy orbdidbi miss something?

Comment

Originally posted by PlastikBulletz View Post
        What the syrup for? And did all the tomatoe juice make the gravy orbdidbi miss something?

I like to add a little syrup to mine to add a little syrup flavor to mine. The roux is what makes the gravy. I use diced tomotoes, you may need to add about 1/2 cup of water to thin the gravy.

I have gone back and edited the recipe, thanks for bringing that up.
        Last edited by firecapt186; 04-01-2012, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Now that looks good

Comment

Redeye gravy and biscuits, very old school. but a great old school! thanks for shareing

Comment

And is it a cup each of oil/flour? I'm going to make this tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by PlastikBulletz View Post
                And is it a cup each of oil/flour? I'm going to make this tomorrow
                1/4 cup of each, you can use a little more though, I guess at most of my recipes.

Comment

Nice lookin' plate Mr. Dennis...

Comment

How about some grits with that order?

Comment

I want to try a seafood omelette with a crawfish etoufee for a brunch meal next. Cheese grits with etoufee is awesome!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

It looks tasty.

I know that the same kinds of foods are called all kinds of different names according to location. I thought that redeye gravy had coffee in it. When made with a light flour roux like in this recipe with the tomatoes, my mother always called it tomato gravy. Without tomatoes we called it brown gravy or I think some people might call it sawmill gravy with the sausage.

I am just curious what other people call redeye gravy. No matter what is looks great. Anytime you start out dripping and flour, you are off to a good start.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                          It looks tasty.

I know that the same kinds of foods are called all kinds of different names according to location. I thought that redeye gravy had coffee in it. When made with a light flour roux like in this recipe with the tomatoes, my mother always called it tomato gravy. Without tomatoes we called it brown gravy or I think some people might call it sawmill gravy with the sausage.

I am just curious what other people call redeye gravy. No matter what is looks great. Anytime you start out dripping and flour, you are off to a good start.
                          Thats what I have always heard. Don't know myself, never seen a reciepe on it. Anyone have it, plz post. C'ya

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                            It looks tasty.

I'm curious too. I never had a gravy with coffee in it before. Redeye is what they always called this at the fire station.

Comment

You always cooking up something lol
                              Looks good bro!

Comment

Working...
                              X