Lets see your cast-iron recipes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets see your cast-iron recipes...

I always try new things , over the fire or on the stove... but I want to see what other people are doing that maybe I havent thought of...
    I saw a post before that had some neat tricks that I haven't seen , so maybe all of us will learn something or at least it will make us remember
    something from our childhood

A friend who comes to deer camp just because he loves camping out (he never cares about shooting anything because he kills all his deer opening morning off his front porch), sometimes makes a fruit cobbler that is friggin awesome. He throws it all in the dutch oven and covers it in coals. Every bit of it gets eaten. Sorry I dont know the recipe, I believe he uses cake mix though.

Oh, and lots of butter.

Comment

Hey bigmike585,
      Sounds like what they call a "dump cake" . I do not have a recipe in front of me but it uses a cake mix, pie filling , pecans, and maybe butter. Super rich and way easy! BNever cooked one in coals.

Comment

2 cans of cherry pie filling 1 box white cake mix and a can of sprite place the coals under and on top 20 mins. Not had a complaint yet.

Comment

I cook almost all veggies on the skillet over a fire. Favorite in the house now is cauliflour (sliced) with baby carrots, sprinkle with Lawreys and a little veggie oil and grill until tender. Other favorites are eggplant, brussel sprouts, (they need a little more time to get the bitterness out), zuchinni and yellow squash. Great and easy side dishes for any meat that is next to the skillet on the grill.

Comment

Also love me some Charro Beans in the dutch oven. Pinto Beans (soaked overnight) 1 cup of water, 1 beer, bacon, peppers (to your taste, we use jalepenos), cherry tomotoes, chopped onions, chopped garlic, spices to taste (cayanne, blaze ect.) keep on med heat for as long as you can, the longer the better to let the flavors blend. Add cilantro for the last hour. I'm getting hungry now

Comment

I like the peach cobbler made in the dutch oven with cake mix sorry no recipe I just ate it

Comment

Cobbler/Dump cake:

I think I got this recipe from the GS a few years ago. I have done it in the dutch oven at the lease or in the oven at home.

Large can heavy syrup sliced peaches
                One box yellow cake mix
                One stick butter
                Granulated Sugar
                Cinnamon

Pour peaches in bottom
                Pour cake mix over peaches
                Slice butter over top of cake mix(evenly spread pieces)
                Sprinkle sugar over entire top of butter/cake one teaspoon full at a time(don'e know exactly how much just enough to cover entire area lightly)
                Sprinkle cinnamon over top

cover and Bake @ 350 for 45 min -1 hour(I use a casserole dish with a lid when I'm at the house)

For dutch oven preheat dutch oven for 5 min or so over fire or coals
                Line inside with foil (easy cleanup!!!)

Follow cake mixing directions above

Place oven on bed of coals with hot coals on lid as well.

every 15min rotate oven 1/4 turn and lid 1/4 opposite way

After 45 min remove oven from coals and remove coals from lid set to side with lid slightly open and vent for another 15 min

Enjoy!

I've also tried this wil apples and cherry but always use a heavy syrup for best results.

A scoop of vanilla ice cream on top!

Comment

anything you can cook in your oven at home you can try in a dutch oven. We've done smothered pork chops, beans, cobblers, cinnamon rolls, biscuits...

With biscuits and cinnamon rolls I have to put them in a pie pan and roll up 4 pieces of foil (all the same size) and place them in the bottom of the dutch oven. Put your coals on the dutch oven to pre-heat it before putting the biscuits in. Place the pie pan with biscuits on top of the foil balls and start cooking. Rotating the lid and oven every 5-10 minutes or so. Placing the pie pan on the foil balls seems to be the only way I can keep from buring the bottom of the biscuits.

Had a friend that always cooked biscuits over the campfire in cast iron skillet. She'd layer them in the skillet and flip them with a fork every few minutes to keep them from burning.

Comment

Originally posted by boliverpete View Post
                    anything you can cook in your oven at home you can try in a dutch oven. We've done smothered pork chops, beans, cobblers, cinnamon rolls, biscuits...

With biscuits and cinnamon rolls I have to put them in a pie pan and roll up 4 pieces of foil (all the same size) and place them in the bottom of the dutch oven. Put your coals on the dutch oven to pre-heat it before putting the biscuits in. Place the pie pan with biscuits on top of the foil balls and start cooking. Rotating the lid and oven every 5-10 minutes or so. Placing the pie pan on the foil balls seems to be the only way I can keep from buring the bottom of the biscuits.

Had a friend that always cooked biscuits over the campfire in cast iron skillet. She'd layer them in the skillet and flip them with a fork every few minutes to keep them from burning.
                    Just a suggestion but putting a horseshoe (preferably clean ) in the bottom of the dutch and then setting the tin pan of bisquits on that will keep em from burning on bottom also. The horseshoe holds them up just enough to allow the heat to circulate around the bottom of the pan and brown 'em on the bottom.

Comment

I cook in 2 kinds of cookware : cast iron and magnalite

I fry bacon in the cast iron and save the grease in a mason jar . Whenever I cook I often use a tablespoon of bacon grease

Comment

Cornbread, bacon grease smoking hot. If it ain't smoking, it ain't hot enough!

Comment

Iv'e done alton brown creme brulee in the cast iron several times. The cast iron heats evenly so you dont have to use those little white jars in a pan of water when cooking.

Comment

Bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                              I cook in 2 kinds of cookware : cast iron and magnalite

I fry bacon in the cast iron and save the grease in a mason jar . Whenever I cook I often use a tablespoon of bacon grease
                              Yes sir, only two types, Cast Iron and Magnalite

Comment

Working...
                              X