Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Recipe for newbies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recipe for newbies?

I am jumping in head first!

My parents and my 2nd daughter will be here tomorrow from Ohio.

I want to grill them something. They never eat deer meat before.

Should I start with backstrap? Steak? Using grill? What do yall recommend? It will be my first time to cook, as well.

Thanks for the guidance!

Take a piece of venison(I flatten mine with a meat mallet)
    wrap around jalapeno piece(de-seed the jalapeno)
    wrap whole thing in bacon.
    hold with a toothpick.
    You will make yourself sick on these.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie6Delta View Post
      hold with a toothpick.
      Sweet. Vension...which part is that? Sorry to ask such dumb ?

Any part of deer meat?
      Last edited by Silent Assassin; 03-21-2012, 02:09 PM.

Comment

It all works. Of course backstrap is the best. The last time I did it, I used a lot of pieces that would have been good for grinding. I just beat them flat with the tenderizing mallet. You can soak your meat in a marinade first also. But the bacon is the killer, man it is good! You could also try the Stuffed Backstrap recipe LowFence has in the recipe section. It is awesome!

Comment

I usually do the jalepeno thing. Or you can take tenderized backstrap or cutlets and soak in Dales steak marinade for a few minutes and grill over hot fire for about 2 minutes on each side. Either way is great.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie6Delta View Post
            hold with a toothpick.
            ^This^ but I usually marinade mine in Italian Dressing and Worshire for a few hours. Season with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper and anything else you like. Take a chunk of monterrey jack cheese w/ jalapeno slice wrap in bacon and grill. Good Luck!

Comment

I soak mine in zesty italian dressing for at least a day. Tenderize, then egg wash em and batter with a mix of panko, flour, and tonys. Then fry in a skillet, these are some tasty morsels. However the bacon jalapeno wrap is now on my list of things to try with deer meat. If you really want to use the grill, try some kabobs. They are easy to make and fun to eat.

Comment

Awesome! Keep em coming! I want something that it wont mess up or turn away first timers.

I ate fried backstrap with white gravy when I shot my first deer and my friend wanted to celebrate my first deer kill and ate the recipe he made.

I will browse thru the recipe section more tomorrow.

Comment

You will need the following

Jalapeños ( get the BIG peppers)
                  Backstrap cut into medallions
                  Cream cheese
                  Bacon
                  Dales steak marinade
                  And real maple syrup

Put the medallions into the dales while preparing the rest, it doesn't take long to marinate with this. Cut your peppers lengthwise, and deseed. Stuff with cream cheese and add a piece of the backstrap, wrap in bacon. When cooking you can do it one of two ways, 1. Grill it. If you choose this way you will want to soak your toothpicks in water before you use them so they don't burn up. 2. The oven. We use the oven when we cook these because the bacon actually gets done instead of burnt on the outside and raw on the inside( which will happen on the grill). If you use a pan that has sides on it and if you have a cooling rack for cookies, you can put the rack on the inside of the pan so the bacon grease drips off of them. Once the bacon is about done turn on your broiler to get the bacon nice and crispy.... This next part is key.... Bathe the bacon in real maple syrup right after they are done cooking. This is what makes them. We got this recipe off of the green screen, but I can't remember who posted it! It's a hit every time we make it!

Comment

This is what they will look like going into the oven, and I forgot to mention, if you cook them in the oven, you don't have to use toothpicks.

Comment

Not sure if that photo actually posted.... Let me know I'll try again if not.

Comment

If you have a long piece of backstrap, stuff it with boudin and cheese and wrap it in bacon then smoke it for 2 hrs! OMG!!!! It's amazing

Comment

They're grrrrreeeaaattt!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X