Barbacoa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barbacoa

Any one have any good recipes? I bought some the other night and all the recipes just don't sound authentic enough.

Are we talking real barbacoa? the meat off the face of the cow? My dad makes that alot its very simple...buy cow head (from mexican meat market) if frozen, thaw....put onions pieces,peppers,saltetc. all over head...remove tongue,wrap in foil real good, then put tongue back ..wrap head real good with foil, and slow cook in smoker at bout 160-180 degrees for bout 8-10 hrs.. remove, scrape of meat of head, slice up tongue, and mix together..(tongue is very good,especially mixed with barbacoa)...ENJOY!! 15 lb head should yield 8 lbs of meat with tongue..May sound gross, but I havent had one friend tell me they didnt love it!!!!!

Comment

That is it and I love the tongue.

Comment

i can ask my MIL,now that women can make some barbacoa,tameles,tortillas , pico de gallo ,should i go on!

Comment

I use wild hog heads to make barbacoa. I know, technically not correct, but the heads are free and it tastes good.

Skin it and dry rub with salt, pepper, cayenne, and cumin. Smoke it for 10-15 hours around 200 degrees until the neck and cheek meat is soft enough to shred off with a fork and the gelatin is totally soft.

Be careful and avoid eating the big round glands in the neck near the windpipe. Glands taste bad, but the meat next to them is fine. Lots of good fat and gelatin in there for tacos.

Comment

hey jono

how much do those heads typically cost from the meat market?

Comment

I've seen "barbacoa" sold in a vacuumed sealed bag at HEB, and been tempted to buy it. Is this what your talking about? I havent bought yet, but want to try it. I take it it's better for low and slow...Whats your guys favorite way to prepare this cut!!!

Comment

:) These were really tasty... Beef cheek meat is so good if cooked right. It needs to be slow roasted, braised or simmered to break down and...

This is a pretty good recipe, I've also used tongue for this recipe as well.

Comment

Working...
                X