hog tenderloin question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hog tenderloin question

In the past i have always just ground up my whole hogs but this time i kept the tenderloins. I smoked one on saturday that was very good, but i was wondering...should i have left the fat on? I have always trimmed all the fat from my deer, but i havent shot many hogs and wanted to hear what was correct. thanks

In my experience, the fat on wild hogs ranges from a just little funky to awful tasting. My guess is this is because of their varied diet - as we know they will eat anything. With a chunk of wild pork like a ham or backstrap I use a very sharp filet knife and remove as much of the fat as I can. Because of this the meat tends to dry out - thus the need for marinade or wrapping in bacon.
    Last edited by jerp; 02-06-2012, 11:50 AM.

Comment

yea i believe it just depends on what the hog is eating. Fat keeps it moist but changes the flavor

Comment

Same Same, Cut off as much as possible and don't overcook the meat.

Comment

Thanks guys have always believed fat on wild game could give meat an off flavor...but my tenderloin tasted so much like domestic pork,it made me wonder if I should have prepped it like domestic pork

Comment

I leave the some fat on when cooking pork and cut it off when we eat

Comment

I've always cut it off. I've never over cooked the tenderloins. I take em off the grill and cover with foil to keep em moist while the carry over cook time cooks it the remainder of the way. I've also wrapped the tenderloin in bacon which adds flavor and keeps it from drying out. Plus who doesn't like bacon anyways!

Comment

I trim the fat off and wrap tenders in Bacon and add sliced onions and bell peppers...wrap it all up in foil and grill...yummy...I also use garlic powder to season

Comment

Working...
                X