Dinner tonight: Ribeyes. Again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dinner tonight: Ribeyes. Again.

Dinner tonight: Ribeye steaks (only meh, despite delicious seasoning), Corn and Scallion Griddle Cakes--surprisingly tasty and a new family favorite, and a simple leafy green salad with a classic ACV vinaigrette by Helen Corbitt. No dessert, though. My husband has declared a moratorium on them.
    Attached Files

Dang, and we only had beer battered shrimp and onion rings. Our fried food quota for about two weeks, but I had a craving ! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2703.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	26734501

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
      Dang, and we only had beer battered shrimp and onion rings. Our fried food quota for about two weeks, but I had a craving ! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2703.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	26734501
      Oh, good Lord, that looks delicious!!

Comment

Why were the ribeyes only meh, despite delicious seasoning? They look perfectly cooked to me

Comment

Originally posted by Colton View Post
          Why were the ribeyes only meh, despite delicious seasoning? They look perfectly cooked to me
          They had very little flavor in spite of the marbling. I have no idea why.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post

They had very little flavor in spite of the marbling. I have no idea why.
            That happens sometimes, seems to be hit or miss if you buy your steaks at Brookshires like we do. Probably get better from a butcher.

Comment

Tomahawks for us. My SIL got an early birthday before heading back to England.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240302_180550075.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	522.6 KB
ID:	26734552

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
                Tomahawks for us. My SIL got an early birthday before heading back to England.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240302_180550075.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	522.6 KB
ID:	26734552
                I’ve never tried to cook Tomahawks. Perhaps I’ll give it a try this Spring once I pull out the grill.

Comment

I would hate to have to choke down those ribeyes, lol

Comment

Dinner tonight: Ribeye steaks (only meh, despite delicious seasoning), Corn and Scallion Griddle Cakes--surprisingly tasty and a new family favorite, and a simple leafy green salad with a classic ACV vinaigrette by Helen Corbitt. No dessert, though. My husband has declared a moratorium on them.
                    Curious about those corn and scallion griddle cakes. Recipe to share?

Comment

Originally posted by dbaio1 View Post

Curious about those corn and scallion griddle cakes. Recipe to share?
                      Happily. Will do it when I get home tonight. We enjoyed them far better than we thought we would.

Comment

Happily. Will do it when I get home tonight. We enjoyed them far better than we thought we would.
                        Awesome thanks

Comment

Originally posted by dbaio1 View Post

Awesome thanks
                          My apologies for taking so long to send this. My absent mindedness is legendary in my family. Nevertheless, here it is...Corn and Scallion Griddle Cakes.

Corn and Scallion Griddle Cakes

INGREDIENTS:
                          • 1/2 tablespoon olive oil

• 3 scallions, white and green parts separated, thinly sliced

• 1 1/2 cups of fresh corn kernels (from about 1 1/2 large ears of corn)

• 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro

• 1 large egg, separated

• 1/4 cup half and half (or whole milk)

• 2 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)

• 2 ounces grated sharp cheddar (about 1/2 cup)

• 1/4 cup flour

• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder

• 1/4 teaspoon salt
                          • Sugar, a pinch
                          • MSG, a pinch
                          • vegetable oil for cooking the cakes (such as sunflower oil)

For serving:
                          • Avocado Tomatillo Salsa (recipe below)
                          • a handful of cherry tomatoes, quartered

• sour cream

• slivered scallions

INSTRUCTIONS:
                          1. Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the white scallion parts and the corn, and sauté for a few minutes until tender. Let cool slightly.
                          2. In a large bowl, combine the sauteed scallion and corn with the green scallion, cilantro, egg yolk, half and half, cheeses, flour, baking powder and salt.
                          3. Place the egg white in a medium bowl with a pinch of salt and whip until firm peaks form. Gently fold the whipped whites into the batter.
                          4. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and coat with a film of vegetable oil. Drop 1/4 cup portions of batter into the pan, and cook until browned on the bottom, 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook on the second side, 2-3 minutes longer.
                          5. Serve the pancakes with salsa, tomatoes, sour cream, and scallions.
                          NOTES:

Other cheeses could stand in for the chèvre and cheddar; queso fresco and jack, or smoked gouda, for instance. The herb component could similarly go in any direction, such as basil, chives, or parsley. Or perhaps a sweet version with ricotta, no herbs or scallions, and topped with berries or sauteed plums, crème fraîche and honey, would be nice. Feel free to double the recipe to feed a crowd, or hoard extras.

Avocado Tomatillo Salsa

INGREDIENTS:
                          • 2 poblano chiles (more or less to taste; see headnote)
                          • 1 pound (about 10 medium) tomatillos, husks removed
                          • 1/4 large yellow or white onion, chopped
                          • 1 bunch cilantro, washed, stems removed and discarded, a few leaves reserved for garnish
                          • juice of 1 – 2 limes
                          • 3/4 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
                          • 2 medium, ripe avocados, peeled and pitted, flesh scooped out
                          • ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
                          INSTRUCTIONS:
                          1. Roast the poblanos either over an open flame or under the broiler, turning occasionally until the skins are blackened and blistered all over, 5-10 minutes. Let sit until cool enough to handle, then, wearing gloves if your skin is sensitive to capsicum, peel off the skins. Slice the peppers in half and remove the veins and seeds. (If the peppers are very spicy, you can rinse them to remove more of the capsicum, which concentrates in the seeds and veins.) Chop the flesh coarsely.
                          2. Meanwhile, place the tomatillos in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 5 – 10 minutes, until the tomatillos turn a drab green. Drain and let cool slightly.
                          3. Combine the tomatillos in a food processor or blender-=][ s Sz with the poblanos (if the peppers are very spicy, you may not want to add all of them), and onion. Blend until smooth, and to release some heat. Let cool to room temperature, 20-30 minutes, then add the cilantro leaves, the juice of 1 lime, salt, and the avocado flesh. Puree until smooth. Taste for seasoning, adding more salt, lime juice, or poblano to taste. Serve right away or chill until needed.
                          4. The salsa is prettiest within the first day or two when it is bright green, but it will keep in the refrigerator for up to one week.

Comment

My apologies for taking so long to send this. My absent mindedness is legendary in my family. Nevertheless, here it is...Corn and Scallion Griddle Cakes.

Corn and Scallion Griddle Cakes

INGREDIENTS:
                            • 1/2 tablespoon olive oil

• 3 scallions, white and green parts separated, thinly sliced

• 1 1/2 cups of fresh corn kernels (from about 1 1/2 large ears of corn)

• 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro

• 1 large egg, separated

• 1/4 cup half and half (or whole milk)

• 2 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)

• 2 ounces grated sharp cheddar (about 1/2 cup)

• 1/4 cup flour

• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder

• 1/4 teaspoon salt
                            • Sugar, a pinch
                            • MSG, a pinch
                            • vegetable oil for cooking the cakes (such as sunflower oil)

For serving:
                            • Avocado Tomatillo Salsa (recipe below)
                            • a handful of cherry tomatoes, quartered

• sour cream

• slivered scallions

INSTRUCTIONS:
                            1. Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the white scallion parts and the corn, and sauté for a few minutes until tender. Let cool slightly.
                            2. In a large bowl, combine the sauteed scallion and corn with the green scallion, cilantro, egg yolk, half and half, cheeses, flour, baking powder and salt.
                            3. Place the egg white in a medium bowl with a pinch of salt and whip until firm peaks form. Gently fold the whipped whites into the batter.
                            4. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and coat with a film of vegetable oil. Drop 1/4 cup portions of batter into the pan, and cook until browned on the bottom, 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook on the second side, 2-3 minutes longer.
                            5. Serve the pancakes with salsa, tomatoes, sour cream, and scallions.
                            NOTES:

Other cheeses could stand in for the chèvre and cheddar; queso fresco and jack, or smoked gouda, for instance. The herb component could similarly go in any direction, such as basil, chives, or parsley. Or perhaps a sweet version with ricotta, no herbs or scallions, and topped with berries or sauteed plums, crème fraîche and honey, would be nice. Feel free to double the recipe to feed a crowd, or hoard extras.

Avocado Tomatillo Salsa

INGREDIENTS:
                            • 2 poblano chiles (more or less to taste; see headnote)
                            • 1 pound (about 10 medium) tomatillos, husks removed
                            • 1/4 large yellow or white onion, chopped
                            • 1 bunch cilantro, washed, stems removed and discarded, a few leaves reserved for garnish
                            • juice of 1 – 2 limes
                            • 3/4 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
                            • 2 medium, ripe avocados, peeled and pitted, flesh scooped out
                            • ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
                            INSTRUCTIONS:
                            1. Roast the poblanos either over an open flame or under the broiler, turning occasionally until the skins are blackened and blistered all over, 5-10 minutes. Let sit until cool enough to handle, then, wearing gloves if your skin is sensitive to capsicum, peel off the skins. Slice the peppers in half and remove the veins and seeds. (If the peppers are very spicy, you can rinse them to remove more of the capsicum, which concentrates in the seeds and veins.) Chop the flesh coarsely.
                            2. Meanwhile, place the tomatillos in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 5 – 10 minutes, until the tomatillos turn a drab green. Drain and let cool slightly.
                            3. Combine the tomatillos in a food processor or blender-=][ s Sz with the poblanos (if the peppers are very spicy, you may not want to add all of them), and onion. Blend until smooth, and to release some heat. Let cool to room temperature, 20-30 minutes, then add the cilantro leaves, the juice of 1 lime, salt, and the avocado flesh. Puree until smooth. Taste for seasoning, adding more salt, lime juice, or poblano to taste. Serve right away or chill until needed.
                            4. The salsa is prettiest within the first day or two when it is bright green, but it will keep in the refrigerator for up to one week.
                            Awesome. Thank you very much. Have a safe and fun trip to Bownanza.

Comment

Working...
                            X