Smoked Chuck roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Chuck roast

Smoked a Chuck roast some time ago and was not impressed. I refuse to call it poor man’s brisket because it tastes like a Chuck roast that was smoked and not a brisket in any form, shape or fashion. What’s your opinion? Have you smoked one, did you like it and would you smoke another one? I won’t do another one. I’m keeping mine in a crockpot with potatoes, carrots and onions where it belongs.

Not a fan. You can get a good choice brisket on sale for half as much money anyways

Comment

I sous vide one for 24hrs once to try it out, was like a poor man's ribeye roast. Smoked chuck roasts are good, they make good burnt ends too. Good thing is they don't take as long as a brisket, you can get them.on sale pretty regularly for $2.97lb.

Comment

Highest and best use is a pot roast. Also good to shave it and make Philly cheese steaks. I have tried to make it a brisket but it ain’t.

Comment

I like them cooked on smoker way more than crockpot.

Comment

Black iron pot with brown gravy, onions and garlic. Not a cut for smoking for me.

Comment

we do them quite a bit. Its just wife and I so a 2-3lb is good size and far less work/time/extra meat than brisket. Yes, we could freeze the extra brisket, but this is what we prefer to do

Comment

I’ve smoked them a couple of times. After it’s done, cubed it up, added bbq sauce in an aluminum pan, foiled it and cooked for another hour. Removed the foil and cooked about 30 minutes, makes good burnt ends.

Comment

Yeah i wasn't a fan either.

I'd rather separate it into the chuck eye and denver steak. Can grill the eye as a cheap ribeye alternative or cube it up along with the denver steak. The cubed denver makes a great short rib alternative with no bone or gristle. I personally cube up my chuck roasts for for carne guisada.

I've had several requests on "What can I do with a Boneless Beef Chuck Roast, other than making a roast out of it?" Well, it makes great hamburger! Almost without taking any more trim off, it w

Attached Files
                  Last edited by BlackHogDown; 12-01-2023, 07:41 AM.

Comment

I smoke it and use it in chili. Once it's done to 205 degrees on the smoker I let it cool then cube it up and mix it with a couple pounds of ground pork and add in Ragin Blaze chili seasonings. It is absolutely amazing after a few hours slow cooked in the pot.

Comment

I smoke them for a little bit and then finish in pot with beef broth and seasonings. Usually just shred and use it for tacos. Works great that way. Expecting a brisket type outcome using a roast is setting yourself up for disappointment. Similar to folks who state "I don't like venison, its too gamey". Duh!!! its wild game not grain fed beef. Roast is roast, brisket is brisket. Both are good but don't expect one to be like the other.

Comment

I tried cooking one a few weeks ago. I put it on the smoker and later wrapped it in foil. I completely forgot about it while I was doing a few projects outside. When I pulled it off the smoker and let it rest a bit, you could pull it apart with a fork. Made great loaded bake taters!

Comment

Working...
                        X