Homemade apple pie shine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trjones87 View Post
    How long is too long for the cinnamon stick?
    Personally......i would say a day.Doesnt take long to release the cinniamon taste.But you could leave 2 and probably be alright.

Comment

I also noticed it tastes better if it's been sitting for a little bit in the fridge to shake it.

Comment

I have had it with the sticks left in and personally didnt like it. Makes it chalky to me. But i alson strain mine through panty hose when I fill the jars and it comes out clear with no floaties or chalky stuff. If you want a more cinnamon taste just let it sit longer before adding alcohol and jarring. Or put more sticks in while youre making it.

Comment

Originally posted by SKLOSS View Post
          You did when u got so drunk on my shine u allowed me to draw snakes on your face!!! They call me "BIG DADDY"!!
          Lol that wasn't a snake!!!

Comment

Originally posted by codfish View Post
            Lol that wasn't a snake!!!
            The ol Peter snake

Comment

I saw that you put half a peach in it for a while, did you try green apples?

Comment

I saw that you put half a peach in it for a while, did you try green apples?
                No Sir never did that but don't see why it wouldn't work the same.Think the Apples would break down before the peaches but still sounds like a good idea.

Comment

Good stuff there!!

Comment

My buddy makes this all the time. Apple pie, peach and pear. Every time he comes over he brings me a few jars. Great stuff.

Comment

How much will a batch make? Need to figure out how many mason jars to get

Comment

If you go with this recipe youll get about 1.5 gallons. I just reuse the gallon jug and the everclear bottle.

I doubled it last week and now have way too much.

Comment

If I remember correctly, 5 jars. Double recipe ten jars.

Comment

Not what I thought this thread was about. I thought it was about how to make shine, not how to flavor shine

I actually ferment my own applie pie wine (alcohol content of a port... so like 15-17% by volume.) While not a 'shine per se, it keeps you warm at night and goes great with vanilla ice cream.

Ingredients:

Organic Apple Cider from HEB in the glass jugs (can actually just ferment in these...)
                            Sugar
                            McCormicks Apple Pie Spice Seasoning
                            High Alcohol wine yeast.
                            Campden tablets.

I ferment these in 5 gallon batches in a 6.5 gallon glass jug. Takes about 1-1.5 weeks for primary fermentation. Rack it over to the 5 gallon jug and finish fermenting till clear. Then bottle.

I've made my own just plain hard cider the same way, just no added sugar (the natural cider gets you 4-5% alc by volume as is.)

The amount of sugar I add depends on the yeast I use and a hydrometer I use to measure specific gravity to know how much alcohol I will get out of the process.

Unlike shine... I can't get it higher than about 17% without distilling... which of course we are not allowed to do without a license.

Comment

[ATTACH]571955[/ATTACH]

Comment

Don't forget to Buckle up

Comment

Working...
                                X