Needed: Red Beans and Rice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wytex View Post
    Try some Bolita beans, I have bag coming form Adobe Milling.
    I just add an onion and garlic clove with a green chile and then add chicken bullion after they cook a while. Supposedly adding salt too early makes the skins tougher.
    If you are going to go with Adobe Milling, might as well make it Anasazi beans.

In fact instead of kidney beans…..

Usually at HEB….

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
      both aforementioned recipes are solid. I drain my water after soaking the beans. Then add new water into pot and cover the beans 1-2 inches.

the Camelia dry red beans come in a 1 pound bag which is what I use.

definitely go with smoked meat: sausage, andouille, tasso, ham hock, etc .... brown the meat and cook down the onions

when the beans are soft from cooking and basically done, I remove around 3/4 of a cup and puree them with a hand immersion blender. That will make the beans creamy when you add the puree'd stuff back into the pot.

inet pic, which looks good to me

Click image for larger version

Name:	afdd82_287ce968049d4acbaae2a3cec9e7cb6f~mv2.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	26594362
      This. All my beans have andoullie, tasso and salt pork (Savoie's Pickled Port at HEB next to the Tasso) in them.

Comment

Name:	image.png
Views:	134
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	26607088The best I have ever eat hands down !!!!​

Comment

I cooked a pot of beans Monday. Changed it up a little and used andoullie and a couple smoked turkey wings. Once the beans were ready and time for fresh parsley and green onions I pulled the wings and deboned and returned to the pot. I kind of liked that new addition. Thumbs up.

Comment

Originally posted by dbaio1 View Post
            I cooked a pot of beans Monday. Changed it up a little and used andoullie and a couple smoked turkey wings. Once the beans were ready and time for fresh parsley and green onions I pulled the wings and deboned and returned to the pot. I kind of liked that new addition. Thumbs up.
            Good idea to infuse some natural smoke flavor using turkey wings. Sounds delicious.

Comment

Here’s what I tried that was awesome. Next time you fire up the stick burner, heavily smoke a link of jalape?o sausage and a bag of small red beans. You can freeze them for another day if needed.
              once ready to cook, start with a large pot:
              add some olive oil
              1 dice green bell pepper
              diced Shallots to your liking
              saute till tender
              add 1/2 to 5/8 diced smoked jalape?o sausage link and render down
              6 cups of chicken broth
              add beans
              sprinkle Cajun blaze seasoning
              a dash or 2 of worsteshire sauce
              pinch of salt and some black pepper
              dash of beef powdered bouillon
              Cover and simmer about 2 hours until beans are tender. Keep control of liquid to your liking. I don’t like mine really soupy so I crack the lid every now and then.
              serve over good sticky rice and garnish with chopped green onions.

Comment

Straight from our churches cookbook my wife’s recipe for red beans and rice.
                Take it from a fat boy that likes to eat it’s good!

Name:	IMG_1895.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	26645498

Comment

Working...
                X