Bone broth questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bone broth questions

I've always boiled down all the bones to make a dog broth and freeze it into popsicles for summertime or heat and pour it over their dry food. I'm wanting to make some stock or broth for human consumption this year. For those of y'all who've done this do you find it better to leave the bones while, or to cut them and let the marrow simmer out? I'll need a longer pot/pan or roaster if whole. Also is there any real benefit to roasting them first?

I always cut my bones so I can get as much marrow in my broth as possible. I will also make sure when it is ready to strain that I shake or scrape out the excess marrow. I have only roasted them once and honestly didn’t see a huge difference. I cook mine on low in a crock pot for about 36 hrs whether they are roasted or just raw bones.

Comment

Awesome, that sames me having to buy a larger crock pot or roaster.

Comment

I’ve only done it once. First I used some limb loppers and cut/cracked all the bones in smaller pieces I roasted bc the meateater recipe said to https://www.themeateater.com/cook/re...ild-game-stock

boiled in my crawfish pot outside for 2 days. Skimming off the nasty stuff at the top along the way. Then I strained it thru cheesecloth, and then skimmed the fat off the top as it cooled. What was left was like jello from all the collagen when it cooled. I froze it in small cups so I could just grab one and throw it in stuff .

Comment

I make bone broth all the time. If the bones are exceptionally large, I’ll ask my husband to cut them (he bought a special blade for his electric saw that is used on nothing but bones.

Yes, roasting them is best and roasting them until they are roasted to a dark color yields the best flavor. Additionally, roasting your aromatics boosts the flavor as well.

Simmering your broth on low, as opposed to letting it boil, yields a nice clear broth which, ideally, is what you want.

I simmer my broth over two days, typically over the weekend. I allow the broth to concentrate through evaporation, then add water to bring the broth back up to the original water line. I do this over and over again over the course of two days in order to leach as much flavor and nutrition out of the bones and vegetables as I can.

Finally, I let the broth cool overnight then pour it into plastic food storage containers and stack them in the freezer for later use.

I love having homemade broths and stocks on hand!

Comment

Awesome thanks y'all! I ordered some 32oz plastic freezer containers just for this season, can't wait!

Comment

Working...
            X