Liverwurst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liverwurst

For those who like liver and liverwurst, here’s a homemade version that’s pretty good and with no additives like the store bought stuff.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8852.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	26583499
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8851.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	26583500

INGREDIENTS

• 1 pound fresh pork belly
    • 1 pound calf liver alternatively beef liver
    • 4 oz. bacon
    • 6 cups water
    • 4 bay leaves
    • 7 whole allspice
    • 1 large white onion
    • 1 garlic clove
    • 1 small red onion
    • 1 tsp. salt
    • ? tsp. white pepper
    • 1 pinch ground allspice
    • ? tsp. nutmeg
    • 1 tsp. marjoram
    • ? tsp. thyme

INSTRUCTIONS

• Cut the white onion into quarters.

• Pour the water into a large pot and add the onion quarters, bay leaves, and allspice.

• Bring to simmer and add the pork belly. Cook on medium heat for about 1 hour.

• Rinse the liver under cold water and add it to the pork belly during the last 10 minutes of the cooking time.

• In the meantime, finely dice the onion, garlic, and bacon, fry until translucent, and add to the blender.

• Remove the liver and pork belly from the pot and reserve 1-2 cups of the cooking liquid. Cut the liver and pork belly into bite-sized pieces and place them in the blender. 

• Add salt, pepper, ground allspice, nutmeg, marjoram, thyme and ? cup of the cooking liquid to the blender and mix to a chunky, smooth texture. Add more liquid and blend longer if you prefer a smoother, softer texture

• Fill into sterilized glasses or wrap in cellophane. You can store these as is for up to a week in the fridge.

• If you want to keep the liver sausage for up to a year, cook the jars. The amount of time it takes to preserve the liverwurst depends on the size of the jar. It takes about 2 hours at 212? F for half-pint jars.

What an ambitious project! Looks delicious, too.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
      What an ambitious project! Looks delicious, too.
      It’s not too ambitious really. Fairly easy to make and similar to the liver pate I make.

I try to eat very clean and it’s hard to do these days so I make several foods that I know what their ingredients are.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post

It’s not too ambitious really. Fairly easy to make and similar to the liver pate I make.

I try to eat very clean and it’s hard to do these days so I make several foods that I know what their ingredients are.
        P?te?

Too fancy for me. I’ll just take some balogna…

Comment

[QUOTE=ThisLadyHunts;n26583563]

P?te?

Too fancy for me. I’ll just take some balogna…[/QUOTE

You funny girl.

Comment

Doesn’t seem too hard. Some meat and spices mixed together and packed up. How’s your kitchen smell during/after? Hah

Comment

Working...
            X