X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers

Ok, I'm craving these right now.

What recipe do you have?

Do you have any pheasant or other wild game birds in the freezer? If so, here's a recipe that my husband found on the Filson website some years ago:

Roasted Pheasant Jalape?o Poppers with Bourbon Red Pepper Jelly
    ​This recipe can be made with any game bird: grouse, duck, goose, or pheasant. If you don’t have access to any of these game meats, chicken will work in their place or you can just omit the meat.

Serves 2-3

Ingredients:
    1 Pheasant Breast, skin removed
    8 Jalape?os
    8 Strips Bacon (use thin bacon for this application)
    8 Toothpicks
    2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
    Finishing Salt

Cream Cheese Filling:
    ? cup Cream cheese. Some of the flavored cream cheeses work really well
    1 clove Garlic, peeled and finely chopped
    1 sprig Rosemary, plucked and chopped
    1 sprig Thyme, plucked and chopped
    (I add a couple tablespoons parmesan for extra layer of flavor)

Bourbon Red Pepper Jelly:
    2 fl oz Bourbon
    ? cup Hot red pepper jelly (I have a hard time finding this at my local grocer. I've ordered it online but the flavor of liquid smoke in it over-powers the mild flavor of the pheasant. I use red currant jelly.)

STEPS:
    CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
    1. Place all the ingredients into a bowl and mix well.
    2. Taste the filling and adjust the herbs and garlic to your taste. Be aware the garlic flavor will bloom as the filling sits.
    BOURBON RED PEPPER JELLY:
    1. In a small pot, heat the bourbon over high heat until it boils.
    2. Ignite the alcohol by holding a match to it or, if you are using a gas stove, tilt the pot until the alcohol ignites from the burner. Be very careful as the flames may not be visible when they burn.
    3. Reduce the bourbon by half and add the red pepper jelly.
    4. Bring the jelly to a simmer, remove it from the heat, and allow it to cool.
    JALAPE?O POPPERS:
    1. Cut the jalape?os down the length of the peppers and remove all the seeds and white ribs from the inside. Make sure to keep the both halves of each pepper together so they match properly once stuffed. Leave the stem on the pepper; this helps keep the filling inside.
    2. Smear a small amount of cream cheese into each half jalape?o, making sure to leave room for the pheasant meat. 1 tbsp per half is more than enough.
    3. Slice the pheasant breast into strips that will fit inside the jalape?os.
    4. Place one slice inside each jalape?o and close the peppers.
    5. Wrap each pepper with a slice of bacon, overlapping the bacon onto itself by ?”.
    6. Trim any excess bacon and use the toothpick to secure the bacon on the jalape?o.
    7. Add the oil to a heavy bottom pan; arrange the poppers in the pan and roast in a 375?F convection oven.
    8. Roast the popper for 15-20 minutes, turning them every 5 minutes until the bacon is well cooked, crisp, and browned. Depending on the oven, this may take longer.
    9. Baste the jalape?os with the bourbon red pepper jelly and continue to roast and turn them for another 5 minutes or until the poppers are nicely glazed in jelly.
    10. Season the poppers with a good sprinkle of finishing salt, pull the toothpicks out, and serve.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	636
Size:	870.7 KB
ID:	26556555​​

Comment

I have to admit, I get lazy sometimes and buy the premade ones at HEB and then stuff a couple dove breasts in each one and re-wrap and then onto the grill.

Comment

I like the ones with Boudan

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
          Do you have any pheasant or other wild game birds in the freezer? If so, here's a recipe that my husband found on the Filson website some years ago:

Roasted Pheasant Jalape?o Poppers with Bourbon Red Pepper Jelly
          ​This recipe can be made with any game bird: grouse, duck, goose, or pheasant. If you don’t have access to any of these game meats, chicken will work in their place or you can just omit the meat.

Serves 2-3

Ingredients:
          1 Pheasant Breast, skin removed
          8 Jalape?os
          8 Strips Bacon (use thin bacon for this application)
          8 Toothpicks
          2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
          Finishing Salt

Cream Cheese Filling:
          ? cup Cream cheese. Some of the flavored cream cheeses work really well
          1 clove Garlic, peeled and finely chopped
          1 sprig Rosemary, plucked and chopped
          1 sprig Thyme, plucked and chopped
          (I add a couple tablespoons parmesan for extra layer of flavor)

Bourbon Red Pepper Jelly:
          2 fl oz Bourbon
          ? cup Hot red pepper jelly (I have a hard time finding this at my local grocer. I've ordered it online but the flavor of liquid smoke in it over-powers the mild flavor of the pheasant. I use red currant jelly.)

STEPS:
          CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
          1. Place all the ingredients into a bowl and mix well.
          2. Taste the filling and adjust the herbs and garlic to your taste. Be aware the garlic flavor will bloom as the filling sits.
          BOURBON RED PEPPER JELLY:
          1. In a small pot, heat the bourbon over high heat until it boils.
          2. Ignite the alcohol by holding a match to it or, if you are using a gas stove, tilt the pot until the alcohol ignites from the burner. Be very careful as the flames may not be visible when they burn.
          3. Reduce the bourbon by half and add the red pepper jelly.
          4. Bring the jelly to a simmer, remove it from the heat, and allow it to cool.
          JALAPE?O POPPERS:
          1. Cut the jalape?os down the length of the peppers and remove all the seeds and white ribs from the inside. Make sure to keep the both halves of each pepper together so they match properly once stuffed. Leave the stem on the pepper; this helps keep the filling inside.
          2. Smear a small amount of cream cheese into each half jalape?o, making sure to leave room for the pheasant meat. 1 tbsp per half is more than enough.
          3. Slice the pheasant breast into strips that will fit inside the jalape?os.
          4. Place one slice inside each jalape?o and close the peppers.
          5. Wrap each pepper with a slice of bacon, overlapping the bacon onto itself by ?”.
          6. Trim any excess bacon and use the toothpick to secure the bacon on the jalape?o.
          7. Add the oil to a heavy bottom pan; arrange the poppers in the pan and roast in a 375?F convection oven.
          8. Roast the popper for 15-20 minutes, turning them every 5 minutes until the bacon is well cooked, crisp, and browned. Depending on the oven, this may take longer.
          9. Baste the jalape?os with the bourbon red pepper jelly and continue to roast and turn them for another 5 minutes or until the poppers are nicely glazed in jelly.
          10. Season the poppers with a good sprinkle of finishing salt, pull the toothpicks out, and serve.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	636
Size:	870.7 KB
ID:	26556555​​
          Thank you. Gonna paste this on a note pad and print it out. Looks great.

Comment

I prefer them to have some kind of filling besides cream cheese. My usual is large halved & seeded jalapenos, with Velveeta and brisket, wrapped in bacon.

Comment

Anything but cream cheese in them is fine with me.

Comment

Try adding smoked Gouda cheese!
                Thank me later

Comment

Working...
                X