Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket Came Out OK

Well, better than OK

About 12 hours on mesquite with temp ranging from 225-260 on the Brazos Old Country i scored from TyRex. Wrapped in peach paper around 180 when it had sufficient color. It continued to darken a bit in the wrap. The flat probed tender and had a good point "jiggle" at around 195. Glad i pulled it when i did as it was almost overdone!

Click image for larger version  Name:	2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.4 KB ID:	26553293
    Last edited by BlackHogDown; 08-09-2023, 07:44 AM.

Smoker BEFORE renovation

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	273.6 KB
ID:	26553304

Comment

3 or 4 beers, a wire wheel, a HOT fire, and a can of canola oil spray later

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	875.9 KB
ID:	26553308

Comment

I always wondered, for those of you who oil your smoker rather than paint it, doesnt dirt and dust stick to the oily surface pretty bad sitting out side?

Comment

Originally posted by GalvestonWader View Post
          I always wondered, for those of you who oil your smoker rather than paint it, doesnt dirt and dust stick to the oily surface pretty bad sitting out side?
          No tacky feeling at all once it cools. The excess drips off while burning and once cool, leaves a slick, rust-resistant coating same as a well-seasoned cast iron skillet. If you oiled without a fire going, it would be sticky. For the record, i only oiled the firebox and part of chamber immediately adjacent.

Comment

Bark on the brisket looks pretty dark. I`ll bet the mesquite on the cause of that.

I just re-seasoned my smoker last week. I bought it new in 2013 and painted all of it with high temp paint. The fire box was pretty rusty prior to spraying with Pam spray while it was very hot.

Name:	001_zps3bc5af96.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	26553605Click image for larger version

Name:	smoker.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	1,001.0 KB
ID:	26553604

Comment

Originally posted by tpack View Post
              Bark on the brisket looks pretty dark. I`ll bet the mesquite on the cause of that.

I just re-seasoned my smoker last week. I bought it new in 2013 and painted all of it with high temp paint. The fire box was pretty rusty prior to spraying with Pam spray while it was very hot.

Name:	001_zps3bc5af96.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	26553605Click image for larger version

Name:	smoker.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	1,001.0 KB
ID:	26553604
              Bark is pretty typical. I usually use post oak but gathered a bunch of last years mesquite from the rancho.

Nice pit! Bet that rolls around a whole lot easier than mine

Comment

Pre - wrap shot. Mesquite gets a bad rap for being overpowering, IMHO. As long as you've got cool, blue smoke (rather than billowing yellow) you're good to go. Then again, I grew up cooking exclusively on mesquite.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	130.8 KB ID:	26553670

Comment

Working...
                X