Overnight brisket on the Traeger 650

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overnight brisket on the Traeger 650

I’m trying to decide, fat up or down? I plan to super smoke it at 180 on the top rack with a water plan below. I’ll be at work monitoring it on the phone so I can adjust if needed. The plan is to put it on at 9pm tomorrow then if it’s up to temp pull it off and wrap with pink paper around 5am and kick the heat up to 210. What say you GS, up or down?

Michael

I like fat down as a bit of a barrier from the direct heat.

Comment

I prefer fat side up. I want the juices from the fat to drop down through the brisket.

Comment

That’s exactly what I’m struggling with. I won’t be there to spray it but I will have a pan of water on the bottom shelf right under the brisket. It should shield a good portion of the heat but…

Michael

Comment

With the water pan you should be good whichever way you decide to go. If you haven’t put it yet flip a coin and roll with it. Let us know what you decided and the outcome, but I believe there is not a wrong answer beyond personal choice.

Comment

The last Brisket I did on my Pellet Smoker I did some light trimming on the Fat Cap, seasoned with Kosher Salt and coarse Black Pepper and went fat side down for 16 hours @ 225 F. Wrapped in Butcher Paper and cooked another hour at 300 F until internal temp hit 205 F. Pulled it off and let it rest in a Cooler for 2 hours. Probably the best Brisket I have ever cooked. The Bark was amazing!!

Comment

My next brisket on my Recteq will be fat side down. I`ve never done a fat side down brisket on any smoker but want to give it a try on my pellet smoker since its directly above the heat source.

Comment

We decided to go fat down on the top shelf. Below it is a pan with a good gallon and a half of water and next to it is a pan with the trimmings. I'll be monitoring the cook on my phone here at work and check it in the morning when I get off. I'm estimating it'll be ready to wrap around 9am. Will keep y'all posted.

Michael

Comment

Soooooo, I just want to know if you’ll be bringing any down here when you make it down???

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
                    Soooooo, I just want to know if you’ll be bringing any down here when you make it down???
                    LOL...hopefully there isn't any left but we will be doing plenty more down there!

9 hours in now and I am about to get off work. We have 75% of the pellets remaining and it's been at a constant 180 degrees and Super Smoke with a current internal temp of 145. Will top off the pellets and sneak a peak in a few.

Michael

Comment

Pics before you wrap it and once it’s ready after resting please! Sounds like it’s going to be a wonderful meal.

Comment

Do you have an update with pics on how it turned out?

Comment

It turned out great. Having trouble posting pictures and will keep trying.

Michael

Comment

Working...
                          X