Venison Osso Bucco w/ Hunters Sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Venison Osso Bucco w/ Hunters Sauce

I was helping one of the guys at my lease break down a buck he had taken earlier in the morning last Saturday. Almost everyone has their method of Quartering a deer. As he neared the end... I noticed he was leaving the fore and rear shanks on the carcass. When I asked him why? He replied with unless I'm going to grind it or make sausage I leave it.

He continued with it's too tough. It has too much connective tissue. It tastes bad and a few others. But you get my point right. I explained what I do then promptly cut the legs off and put them in my cooler.

Yesterday, my wife and I had him and his family over for dinner. I prepared the legs he was going to discard. Now he warned me that his family is very picky eaters and assured me the wouldn't like it. WRONG!!! They devoured it.

Osso Bucco is usually the first meal I cook after I take a deer. It's easy and fantastic. Here is what I served:

Venison Osso Bucco
    Green Chile Mash potatoes w/ hunters gravy
    Green Beans Almondine
    Garlic Bread

Venison Osso Bucco (Serves 4)

INGREDIENTS
    -1/4 cup oil
    -4 7 oz. venison shanks
    -Salt and pepper
    -1/4 cup diced carrots
    -1/4 cup diced celery
    -1 shallot, sliced (or 4 green onions)
    -1/2 cup diced onion
    -3 cloves garlic, smashed
    -1/2 cup red wine
    -1/2 cup Benedictine liqueur (optional)
    -1 qt. beef stock (you can use Venison Stock too)
    -1 T pickling spice
    -2 fresh bay leaves
    -2 sprigs thyme

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat a shallow oven-safe braising pan over medium heat and add oil. Season venison shanks with salt and pepper. Place in hot pan and cook for 4

I was helping one of the guys at my lease break down a buck he had taken earlier in the morning last Saturday. Almost everyone has their method of Quartering a deer. As he neared the end... I noticed he was leaving the fore and rear shanks on the carcass. When I asked him why? He replied with unless I'm going to grind it or make sausage I leave it.

He continued with it's too tough. It has too much connective tissue. It tastes bad and a few others. But you get my point right. I explained what I do then promptly cut the legs off and put them in my cooler.

Yesterday, my wife and I had him and his family over for dinner. I prepared the legs he was going to discard. Now he warned me that his family is very picky eaters and assured me the wouldn't like it. WRONG!!! They devoured it.

Osso Bucco is usually the first meal I cook after I take a deer. It's easy and fantastic. Here is what I served:

Venison Osso Bucco
    Green Chile Mash potatoes w/ hunters gravy
    Green Beans Almondine
    Garlic Bread

Venison Osso Bucco (Serves 4)

INGREDIENTS
    -1/4 cup oil
    -4 7 oz. venison shanks
    -Salt and pepper
    -1/4 cup diced carrots
    -1/4 cup diced celery
    -1 shallot, sliced (or 4 green onions)
    -1/2 cup diced onion
    -3 cloves garlic, smashed
    -1/2 cup red wine
    -1/2 cup Benedictine liqueur (optional)
    -1 qt. beef stock (you can use Venison Stock too)
    -1 T pickling spice
    -2 fresh bay leaves
    -2 sprigs thyme

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat a shallow oven-safe braising pan over medium heat and add oil. Season venison shanks with salt and pepper. Place in hot pan and cook for 4

Comment

Comment

It keeps cutting off my recipe. I've typed twice. Grrrr

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Moderator please delete this. I'd like to start over.

Comment

Here's a pic

Attached Files

Comment

Had already downloaded and printed before I saw the recipe wasn't complete! Get the rest out there!

Comment

Comment

Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat a shallow oven-safe braising pan over medium heat and add oil. Season venison shanks with salt and pepper. Place in hot pan and cook for 4 to 5 minutes on each side until browned. Remove shanks, setting aside for later use. Discard oil from pan. Return pan to stove and add carrots, celery, shallots, onions, and garlic, cooking until vegetables sweat. Deglaze pan by adding red wine and Benedictine to pan, stirring to remove brown pieces from bottom of pan. Simmer until liquid is reduced by half. Add beef stock, shanks, pickling spice, bay leaves, and thyme to pan. Remove from heat and cover pan. Place pan in oven and braise for 1 1/2 hours until meat is tender. Remove shanks from pan, set aside to relax. keep warm until service. Strain braising liquid and reduce until thick and syrupy. Adjust seasoning to your taste and pour over Osso Bucco.

Comment

Ok so the tapa talk doesn't like -

Comment

Looks delicious

Comment

Green Hatch Chile Mash Potatoes (Serves 4)

-1 8oz Can Diced Green Hatch Chiles
                        -6 Medium Potatoes
                        -1 Stick Unsalted Butter
                        -1/4 Cup Heavy Wipping Cream (you can substitute 2% milk and Sour Cream 3-1)
                        -2 Cloves Minced Garlic
                        -Salt and Pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS

Wash and cube the potatoes. Submerge them after cutting in water to remove excess starch. Bring 6 cups of water and a pinch of salt to a rolling boil in a medium sauce pot. Add potatoes to the pot and cook until fork tender. Drain potatoes and return the pot to a low flame. Add cream, garlic, and butter to the pot until butter is completely melted. Whisk vigorously. Remove from heat and mash potatoes to a constancy you like. Fold in 1 undrained can of hatch green chiles. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.

Comment

Have you ever seen the movie Groundhog Day?

Comment

Green Beans Almondine (Serves 4)

-1 12oz pkg Frozen Green Beans
                            -1 Slice of Peppered Bacon Diced
                            -1/2 Cup Sliced or Slivered Almonds
                            -Salt and Pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS

Thaw green beans. Add bacon to a medium sauté pan over medium high heat. Cook until well browned. Remove bacon from the pan and return to flame. Add thawed green beans and cook until they start to gain color. Add almonds and bacon. Cook for 2 min add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.

Comment

That all looks great.

Comment

Working...
                              X