Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does blackbuck taste good?

If so, how do you cook it?

I shot one years ago and it wasnt that tasty to me. I am sure it is all in the preparation.

Comment

I love to eat blackbuck. It and Axis make very good chicken fried steaks.

Comment

To me, it is as follows:

Axis
        Black Buck
        White Tail
        Elk

When I do my blackbucks, I take a large aluminum pan, create a mixture of bbq sauce, beer, and other seasonings, PUT THE WHOLE REAR LEG IN, and cover with foil. 1 hour and 45 minutes on one side, flip, 1 and 1/2 hours on the other. THen uncover, flip back over and cook over mesquite for 30 minutes each side. Slice deep to check thoroughly cooked, remove and serve. Bastes in it's own juices and cocnoction and if done right can pull straight off of the bone. Super Tender.

Just remember to rotate the pan toward the heat source roughly every 20 minutes to try and get an even cooking throughout the process if using a pit with a fire box.

Comment

Wow that is a feast sounds like. looks like blkbuck is back on the hit list

Comment

Always fried the hams and backstraps like a whitetail. Like it a little better.

Comment

try to kill a blackbuck every year, them and axis are very good

Comment

I had one givenm to me and we found it retained a bit more blood than a whitetail, so we cold aged it for a week, and then when I wanted to cook some, I thawed it in the refrigerator and it sit for a while to release more blood. Marinate it in olive oil and red wine (50/50 mix) and cook on the grill like a sirloin. Cuts with a fork- very tender!

Comment

Originally posted by ArcheryAddict View Post
                  To me, it is as follows:

Axis
                  Black Buck
                  White Tail
                  Elk

When I do my blackbucks, I take a large aluminum pan, create a mixture of bbq sauce, beer, and other seasonings, PUT THE WHOLE REAR LEG IN, and cover with foil. 1 hour and 45 minutes on one side, flip, 1 and 1/2 hours on the other. THen uncover, flip back over and cook over mesquite for 30 minutes each side. Slice deep to check thoroughly cooked, remove and serve. Bastes in it's own juices and cocnoction and if done right can pull straight off of the bone. Super Tender.

Just remember to rotate the pan toward the heat source roughly every 20 minutes to try and get an even cooking throughout the process if using a pit with a fire box.

You forgot Oryx Right under axis

Comment

To me, blackbuck is the best. All I do with it is wrap it in bacon and cook it slowly over mesquite with a little mesquite seasoning sprinkled on.
                    Can't be beat !!!!

Comment

I think it's terrible. I have eaten it a few times and it wasn't good at all. If I had to rank the top five game meats that I have tried it was be:
                      Nilgai
                      Axis
                      Elk (or red deer)
                      Oryx
                      Fallow

Comment

No

Comment

i can not say they are the best to me ,, i do like it, slim jims, and chicken fired, my big thing is the price you pay for such a small kritter ,, and i think they are in the goat family so do not expt it to smell or look like deer meat!

but in my op yes its good if given the chance ill take another one !

Comment

Working...
                          X