Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best wild hog I've ever tasted

A friend of mine served this up the other day and it was mighty tasty:
    He used the ham from a medium sized hog he'd shot, and the first step was to brine it overnight. To brine - fill a turkey frying pot with water, put in two cups of kosher salt, two cups of brown sugar, half cup of pork rub and six bay leaves. Stir till it all dissolves, put in the ham and let it sit in the fridge for 24 hours. Pull out the ham, rinse it off and pat with a towel till dry. Cover heavily with your favorite pork rub. Add one bottle of beer to a deep pan and cook in oven (fat side up) uncovered for 12-14 hours at 225 degrees. (internal temp needs to reach 175) After you cook for 12-14 hours, leave in oven to cool down another two hours. It will fall off the bone and it is very flavorful. You can add sauce at that point if you want to. Kind of a long process but well worth it!
    Last edited by jerp; 12-20-2010, 03:38 PM.

Sounds awesome! I ice-chest-brine all my game before I process them. I wonder if brining a second time would make much of a difference.

Comment

I do the same with mine except I put mine on the smoker. It's the only way that I'll eat a wild hog.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
        I do the same with mine except I put mine on the smoker. It's the only way that I'll eat a wild hog.
        same here

Comment

sound very good

Comment

that sounds incredible!

Comment

Working...
            X