No announcement yet.

1st Time to Deep Fry a Turkey...Need Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of good advise here. We just did one at our office for our Thanksgiving lunch. Thaw it completely and dry it as much as you can, set it on end to drain the cavity good. The only thing I can add is set your burner on a piece of scrap plywood... it makes clean up a lot easier. We were about an inch and a half shy on the grease, but it cooked up just fine.

Comment

I have been frying turkeys for several years. Make sure the bird is completely thawed and dry. As far as seasoning goes I simply apply Cayene pepper liberally to the bird inside and out. Make sure that you don't put too much oil in the fryer. Mine has a guide on the side which tells you how much oil to put into it relative to the size of the bird you plan to fry. When placing the bird in the oil lower it in slowly. I have a long dowel rod about an inch and a half in diameter and about 4 feet long that I have attached my hanger from that attaches to the rod that goes through the center of the bird. I have my wife hold one end of the rod while I hold the other when placing the bird in the oil. Make sure the oil is 300 to 325 degrees before lowering the bird into the oil and fry for 2-3 minutes per lb. I use the peanut oil in the big box that you can find at walmart and it has the frying instructions on the side. Make sure that you have a thermometer in the oil at all times so that you can monitor the temp.

Comment

Originally posted by slacker View Post
        3.5 mins per pound and put the turkey in the grease at about 250 degrees and ramp up the temp from there. The grease will "pop" less at 250. We've done ALOT of birds for church fund raisers and such. Don't go any bigger than 15lbs either. Oh and be careful of the hot grease on your bare/flipflopped feet. I like to use this burner.
        x2

Comment

and as dumb as it sounds......... do it OUTSIDE!!!! Not on your portch or in the garage, but OUTSIDE....... you wouldn't believe how many houses burn down every year because of this.

Comment

Step 1: Thaw Turkey
            Step 2: Move Fryer outside, when you think your far enough outside move it farther.

Comment

Be very careful the first time. Make sure you have long enough glove on before you start to put it in and don't drop it in all at once.

Comment

Injected and fryed whole chickens are also great. No use wasting all that costly oil. You can freeze them for Christmas or New Years. One big difference, 9 minutes per Lb on a chicken.

Comment

I will put mine in a good sealed cooler for about 30 minutes before cutting it. Gives it time to rest and the meat will open up and soak in some more moisture.

Comment

here is the best advice i can give you... thaw the chicken FULLY
                    have a fire extenquisher near by..
                    If you do get a grease fire.. DO NOT throw water on it..

Seriously I had to put out quite a few House fires from deep frying turkey
                    there is a you tube of one that is hilarious but Scarey@!

Comment

on top of injections and rubs...I slice an onion and peel garlic and cook them with the turkey.....makes a big difference

Comment

in addition to the advice above, be very sure of the stand/hanger the bird is on.
                        few years ago i was doing my first fried turkey. had it all injected, ready to take to the fryer. it was the deal with a base & a rod that goes up through the bird & when i picked it up, the rod broke from the base. was very glad this didn't happen with it over the oil!! we rigged a 'basket' out of coat hangers & used that to put it in the fryer ... bird came out tasty.

Comment

Originally posted by pojay21 View Post
                          I will put mine in a good sealed cooler for about 30 minutes before cutting it. Gives it time to rest and the meat will open up and soak in some more moisture.

this is very good advice, forgot to mention this. we wrap ours in foil and let them sit in the "heater" a few minutes before cutting.

Comment

any injection you want but what really kicks it is rubbing some mustard on the out side and covering it entirely with some tony's, i have been doin it with my old man since i can remember, and have gotten nothing but compliments.

AND!!!!!!!! go slow when putting it in the fryer you wont like the consequences if you dont

Comment

thaw your turkey, you dont want it to explode in your face..... inject with flavor of your choice.........4 minutes per/lb and a good hot temperature, not too hot, not tooo cold.

Comment

How'd the turkey turn out?

Comment

Working...
                                X