White Pines Lodge, New Brunswick, Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

White Pines Lodge, New Brunswick, Canada

I booked a spring bear hunt with White Pines, through bowhuntermac. Without typing till my fingers bleed, I'd like to hit the highlights and lowpoints of this outfitter.

* The food was out of this world. Breakfast every day at 9am, lunch by 1pm and some kind of DIY meal when you got back from hunting late at night.

* The lodge was clean and comfortable. Running water, electricity by generator, gas heated water, and wood fire heat.

* The fishing, that was advertised, was in a 40 foot by 40 foot mud puddle behind the lodge. I think Alan caught the only two (6") brook trout in the puddle!

* One of the guides told us that we should shoot the first bear we see. It made sense, at the end of the week when two guys never even saw a bear.

* I saw one bear on Tuesday. Shot him and could not find him. My guide, walked aimlessly through the trees while I followed the blood trail. After about 130 yards, he said we should back out and come look again, with more help, the next morning. The next morning, two "professional" bear trackers were brought in. The wandered around like my guide did the night before. The outfitter called off the search after about 45 minutes.

* My guide wouldn't give me a straight answer about anything I asked him. His normal response was "we'll do whatever you want to do, you're the boss". This made me madder than you can imagine. I'm PAYING for your knowledge and you're telling me that we'll just do what I want? I could have done a DIY hunt if I knew this was the kind of help I'd get!

* The outfitter claimed a 90% success rate last year. My guide told me that in reality, on a GOOD week, half the hunters will get bears!

Overall, as a hunting operation, I won't give this place my recommendation.

Thanks for the review. I'm looking for a bear hunt next year and will definetly avoid these guys.

Comment

wow, not good

Comment

Sorry to hear it TAXI!!!!! Thtas gotta make you mad!! I was hoping yall would have a great hunt!!

Comment

Thanks for the review. Was you still on the blood trail when they called it off.

Comment

Originally posted by jdafonte2000 View Post
            Thanks for the review. Was you still on the blood trail when they called it off.
            We were on the last spot, and sweeping from there.

Tim, next year I'm going with ya'll ... or at least with your outfitter.
            When I get some time, I need to call one of you guys. I gots lots of questions.

Comment

question......................did you book through bowhuntermac??? Or did he just suggest this outfitt???

Comment

I'd like to hear the outfitters side of the story

Sucks...nothing worse than going in blind, and not getting the info you need..but a least you got to release on a animal....always next year

Comment

That stinks! I hunted maine alot and have a very good guide that wont rape you on prices.

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
                    question......................did you book through bowhuntermac??? Or did he just suggest this outfitt???
                    I booked through him.
                    In Mac's defense, I don't think he knew all the details of this place ... only what the outfitter, Paul, told him.

Comment

Sorry you had a bad hunt. What kind of references did the outfitter provide if any?

Comment

That's a tough break. Unfortunately, there are some outfitters (won't mention the French) that have the highest regard for your wallet. Beyond that, they couldn't care less. I've spent as much as eight hours to recover a bear that would have otherwise been "wasted." Sorry you hooked up with the wrong folks.

Tom

Comment

Wow Kevin, that is exactly opposite my experience. The outfitter Paul met me in Presque Isle on Saturday and had dinner waiting on me at the camp. On Sunday, he set up a target stand for me to practice my recurve from 21 yards. He took me to several stands to place bait and talked at length about bear hunting as I had tons of questions. I chose the Giggy bait and he set up the barrel at 18 yards for my recurve and cleared the brush for me to get a good shot. I had 2 bears come to the bait on Tuesday night and we tracked one the next morning for 300 yards as the crow flies and perhaps 500 yards back and forth. He was going steeply uphill and very little blood was on the ground. When the search was called off, i felt confident the hit wasnt fatal. He knew I was feeling really low and offered me his rifle, which i used the last evening to take my first bear. He then went late at night to the processor to have it skinned and frozen for my trip home. He Drove me to Walmart to buy a cooler and helped me pack it for the trip. I had a great trip and felt that Paul really cared about my success and that i enjoyed myself. I had a great trip and I hate to hear that your trip was not as memorable.

Comment

Kevin, Paul will be getting no more hunters from me.
                            As soon as I hear from you guys I am going to call him.
                            I actualy had flown up there to visit his operation in Presque Isle last year and all his hunters were going on about how good of a hunt they had, as well as the references I checked (successful and unsuccessful).
                            Evidently I talked to guys hunting on an unusually good week.
                            That experience is NOT typical of the hunts my outfitters I work with (Or myself) provide.
                            I am not sure if they were simpy putting the best foot forward because I was there or what happened, but rest assured once I have the full stories from everyone I will be calling to try and make it right. This is NOT how the outfitters I work with operate as these are the first complaints I have had on ANY of my outfitters and in this case, they will be the last time one of my hunters has a bad time there. If I had ANY inkling of how this was going to go, you guys would have been with one of my reguar outfitters. Paul had contacted me he was running a special price and asked me to advertise for him. Based upon my trip up there and his hunters I talked to, I thought it was a good opportunity to pass along a great price.

I apologize that it was not as I had been led to believe and be assured once I get the scoop I wil do my best to make it right.

Comment

that really sux sorry to hear that

Comment

Working...
                              X