Best time to hunts Axis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best time to hunts Axis?

Is there a "better" time of year to book a day lease hunt for Axis? I have zero experience hunting exotics here in TX and would certainly appreciate any info.

This time of year is typically pretty good, on into the summer.
    Just this weekend, I saw a hard horned axis, one in velvet, and one that had dropped ... all in the same group.

Comment

Figure out where you want to hunt, then talk with the outfitter and they can give you a better idea as to when you want to be there. I know I have heard of groups of axis raised together shedding at the same time. I know I am going on an axis hunt in May and on that ranch they will all be hard horned and ready to taste some Rage tipped death missiles!!!!

Comment

I've heard it's August

Comment

I've done well in May and June

Comment

June/July/August are typically good times for axis hunting b/c there is above normal mating activity then. I say "above normal" because axis can breed and bear young at any time of the year (unlike the 1x/year cycle that whitetail have) but there is more activity during the summer months.

Comment

The summer months like June July and August are good times to go thats when their rut is supposed to be.

Comment

When i went to crystal creek, scooter the guide down there, said your better months will be june, july and augest. Most axis will be hard horned, and when we went most of the axis in the camp house side were.

Comment

Summer months are best. However, Axis are not locked into seasonal breeding like whitetails. I used to raise Axis and every so often you'd see an Axis with hard horns in late fall or early spring. If I were going after them, I'd try May-June. July and August are like huntin on Hell's front porch.

Comment

The outfitter that set me up on my Axis hunt coming up suggested May-June and as far away from the full moon as possible. I booked for the second weekend in June, Can't wait to put some spots on the wall

Comment

Like Jenningsshuter said, axis aren't locked into a set rut timeframe such as WTD, meaning you will see them in velvet and hard antler throughout the year. However, most will rut in mid to late summer which would be your best chance and give you the most opportunity to take one.

Comment

shoot mine in april

Comment

Working...
                        X