Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Day Leases vs Public Hunting Land success opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day Leases vs Public Hunting Land success opinions?

Hey I have done some post on the board about success rates of Day Leases... Got some great responses. Not too far from where I live (College Station) there are a few Public areas (Somerville WMA and Sam Houston).

I was curious as to what you guys thought about hunting public land vs the "no kill fee" day leases?

Sounds like to me you can have the same challenge, going to hunt somewhere you have never hunted. Just curious what how you guys think Public Hunting stacks up against day leases with rgards to success rates?

My experience is that you will see more people than game on Public Land..and DON'T go during rifle season. I went to SHNF one year on opening day of rifle season and there were bullets whizzing all over the place and had 5 groups of hunters walk past my stand. I did see one 6 pt,however. You can't corn on public land....basically it sucks.

Comment

I have hunted both. I have seen many more deer on day leases and more mature deer. The problem with day leases (if this is a problem) is their standards for a kill be it by age or horn size. There are deer that I have seen on a day lease that I could/would kill on public land that would not be considered shooters on a day lease.

If you are looking for horns, a day lease is probably the best best. I think the odds of killing a trophy with a bow on public land are very slim. The odds aren't spectacular on a day lease but you could hunt one the first time and have a shooter come out in front of you.

Comment

Kansas public ground doesn't seem to get much pressure and has good deer but tag will cost !!

Comment

I prefer a day lease versus public land...it's kinda a drag to get up at 5am, drive out to a public spot and set up, and then have a bunch of yahoos come driving by your setup and ruin your morning. You just can't control your environment on public land.

Comment

Working...
          X